X

Three people stood helplessly looking at the small boy on the bed. Deruth appeared to be on the verge of going insane. Ron was furious, his face veiled by a demon. Vicross had a cold, stern look.

"We will be back," the Molrans said coldly as they jumped out of the window. Deruth didn't mind because he knew what those two were going to do. His hand reached out and caressed his pale-faced son's pale cheek. After the long discussion, he went to the prince's banquet, but his son was not there, and no one knows where he went.

He even remembered the young chef barging into the middle of the hall, horrified, to inform him that his son was missing. He bolted and ran as fast as he could. Without permission, he toppled the Palace of Joy. He was rapidly losing his mind. Everything will be over if he loses his little boy.

He doesn't want to lose anything else.

Deruth buried his face in the palm of his son's hand. As he kissed them affectionately, he continued to warm their cold fingers. He almost begged the gods he never believed in in the first place. He can't afford to lose him. He can't bear the thought of losing another loved one. He won't be able to take it... that's all he keeps telling himself... Otherwise, he won't be able to take another heartbreak.

He tried to soothe himself with whatever solace he could find. He had to keep himself strong for his son to stay strong.

"Be strong," he kept saying to his son, refusing to let go of his hand. He grips him tightly as if his life depended on it.

"Please... forgive me," said the young voice. He turned around to face the first prince, who was with his child at the time of the incident. He had a soft expression while apologizing, "It was... my fault."

Deruth did not blame him, but he was partially to blame. However, attacks like this are unavoidable for nobles and royals. He can claim that he and his son are unlucky because they continue to attract trouble. Deruth, on the other hand, dismissed this thought. It was his responsibility as a father to protect his son. It was his responsibility as an elder to protect the young.

"No need, Your Highness... all I need is for him to be alive."

The young prince sat down beside him without saying anything. The prince hung his head low, repentant for whatever mistake he had not made. It's enough. At the very least, there is a redeeming figure in the palace.

"Will you continue like this, Your Highness? Blaming you won't help," he said, adding, "You must do what you must."

"He said... I am fated to be here," the prince swallows a lump of saliva.

"Yes... you are fated to rise and fall... but your choice will determine your fate," he replied.

"He is a strong young man..."

Deruth replied, "yes he is... to the point that it's scary."

The Prince remained silent. The room was deafeningly quiet. "I hope... that even after this... he can become my friend," the prince says with a smile.

Deruth looks at the prince with a gentle smile on his face. His eyes were so filled with tears that he almost regretted meeting his son.

"Of course, you will... my son is not the type of person who would do something like that."

"Really?" asked the prince, hopeful.'

"Yes," Deruth replied, "he keeps people he likes close and draws a line around those he despises... so... do not worry, Your Highness... he protected you."

Deruth swears he had another child.

[-----]

It was refreshing for Ron to see the offending noble bastards at their mercy. The masked duo looked down at the assassination's three perpetrators.