XLIV (N)

Cale woke up groggily. Today is his thirteenth birthday. The entire county was busy preparing for a small feast, but it appears that the count, countess, and the rest of his family members are currently preoccupied with work. Even his younger brother has vanished.

He got out of bed and felt a little dizzy. His head ached, and he became aware of his erratic breathing.

Ron knocked on his door and entered a few moments later. He was sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the old man. Ron paused for a moment before kneeling before him. "Are you all right?"

Cale looked at the elderly gentleman. He had a solemn and worried expression on his face.

"Mn., my head hurts," Cale said, "so I will drink some headache medicine."

Ron remained in his position. He removed his gloves and placed his hand on Cale's forehead. "You're burning up."

"I just need medicine, Ron."

"Young master," Ron said solemnly, "you have a fever... you should rest."

The elderly gentleman remained silent. He took Cale in his arms and carried him back to the bed. He rang the bell in Vicross's kitchen. Vicross arrived moments later with light meals but stopped when he saw Cale on the bed, flushed and heaving heavily.

"I will make something simple," he said, taking the dishes away and returning with ginger cordial and porridge.

"I will report to the Lord... he is at the summit in Viscountess Ubbar's territory; I will leave him to you," Ron says as he pats his son on the shoulder and walks away to deliver a message to the Count.

Vicross, who had been left with Cale, sat on the bed and helped him up. Cale was sweating beads, so he had to wipe him down before assisting him with his meal.

"I can not taste them," Cale frowns, but Vicross smoothes the space between his brows to soften his expression.

Cale looked at him and then ate the porridge without hesitation.

"You should sleep," Vicross said after forcing him to consume the medication.

Cale smiled at him and reached for his sleeve. "don't leave me."

Vicross locked his gaze on him for a few seconds. He took off his apron before sinking into the bed. Cale wiggled closer, resting his head on his arms and hugging his waist. He can feel Cale's warm breathing and heavy sigh. His choking coughs were excruciating to hear. Vicross did not say anything. He patted his back until he heard Cale snore lightly. He protectively wrapped the child in his arms, his chin over the child's head.

"Get well soon..." He is not used to seeing him in this state..

When Ron came by, he finally got out of bed. Cale, on the other hand, refused to let go of his sleeve. Vicross stripped down to his undershirt and removed his other clothing. It is cold, but it is already November. Cale was probably tired, and the weather did not help..

Before leaving to cook another batch of light meals for Cale to eat when he woke up, he patted his head and wrapped him in his clothes.

Ron returned with warm water and a towel after Vicross had left. He wiped the redhead's sweat again and changed his clothes quietly. He patted his head and placed a cold towel over his brow. Cale shifted slightly and melted on his palm.

Ron was wearing a small smile on his face. He was concerned. I am extremely concerned.

"Do not get sick," he said quietly, "it is boring when you are sick.""