XIX

[Cale... brace yourself.]

Cale had hoped that everything would end happily. Huge pain ensued after hearing the glutton's warning. His chest was burning and his heart was pounding so hard he couldn't breathe. He coughed like it was the end of the world after throwing up a mouthful of blood.

[the old man is trying to keep your plate from breaking... brace yourself for a while...]

"Baby Cale!" was the only thing Alver's mind could register as he fell to the ground.

** *coughs** *

Inside his chest, hot blood was rushing, swelling, and surging. He was exhausted to the point where he couldn't feel the nerveless weary pain. He opened his eyes for the first time since his return. He notices Alver standing blankly beside the bed. Taylor was sitting in his wheelchair once again.

He wanted to say something, but instead, chunks of blood poured out. He could only lean on his blood-soaked pillow. Over and over again, strewn with torments of pain.

"Ro...n..." was the first name that came to mind after coughing violently. His ears and nose were both bleedings. He's crying because he's in so much pain. The voices are falling softly on his ears.

He could see Alver panicking but couldn't speak up. He can barely hear everyone saying that he has been unconscious for two days due to blood and pain.

The next time he opened his eyes, there came the soft caressing. Despite its coldness, the gentle touch of loving hands soothes the pain.

He opened his eyes to see Ron's worried expression. Vicross was not far away, but he had the same expression as his grandfather. He reached for Ron, and the old man took his hand and squeezed it tightly. "it's fine... young master, everything will be fine..."

The glutton, [a little more Cale... bear it for a moment... your plate is small and weak...]

The old man, [you used more power than you can use.]

Even with the fusion of the two ancient powers, Cale knew that his body was currently weak. He remembered the assassination attempt in which his shield broke more than he expected. He remembered taking attack after attack, building and rebuilding his silver shield.

The old man, [your plate is small, thin, and weak as glass... using more than you could, or the shield breaking countless times would eventually destroy you.]

He knows. He knows... but he didn't expect it to be this way.

"The count will be here, young master," Ron says frantically. Cold sweat traced the vicious old man's forehead.

Cale—no—Kim Rok Soo felt a sharp pain in his chest. He could feel the blankness and loss of memory as he stared at the old man. "Ron..." said Cale. "Cale had shed bloody tears; blood oozed from his nose, ears, and mouth." he couldn't move. He felt something pulling at his heartstrings. He can only hold on to the old man, who begs him to help him relieve his pain.

"Vicross! Call the Count!" the butler instructed the chef, who did so immediately. Even if they call his father, the pain he is experiencing right now will not be erased.

He can only helplessly call out the name of the old butler, "Ro...n... Ro...n..." Kim Rok Soo simply desired to have this old man by his side right now.

"yes... yes... I am here, Young master..."

It hurts. He'd been in constant pain for a long time. Having the old man beside him alleviates the kind of pain he experienced in his previous life. He doesn't want to be lonely anymore. He doesn't want to feel pain all by himself.