XVIII

While waiting for the blade to make contact, Antonio held both Cale and Taylor in his arms. He couldn't hear Cale's cursed yell. Antonio wanted to help, but his upbringing prevented him from giving the impression that he did. He couldn't make connections without trying his best to craft an image of a leader and subordinate.

This is the first of many.

He let go of all his teachings for the first time. Accept dirt and blood, sacrificing himself to those who were supposed to protect him instead.

"Khahahahahahahahaha!" he exclaimed, ducking even deeper.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

*slash!* He could feel a stinging pain in his back. The cold air made contact with the scent of his blood.

"Why... are you... sorry?" *cough* Cale

"I was wrong," Antonio admitted. Not everything he believed was correct. "So... I'm sorry."

"Apologize... to Ron..., not me," Cale scoffs.

"Foolish noble! Die!"

He might have become stupid. He was foolish, but he made the best decision of his life. He refused to let go of the younger ones. He just embraced as tightly as he could, as hard as he could. He's not going to let go. He will keep them safe. That's all that's going through his mind right now. He clung to them and fought enemies with tenacity. His injuries were severe, but he couldn't care less. The bleeding was unintentional. His vitality has considerably weakened.

He is still capable of protecting them.

Bang!

"lower... it... Cale..." he mumbled. Cale was raising both his hands while in his embrace. He couldn't move anymore, and the numbness was slowly infiltrating his nerves.

Cale's cough was becoming rougher and shallower. Taylor's nervous voice also attempted to put a stop to both of them. When Cale used his shield, it circled them but instantly shattered with every attack.

Useless. He's completely useless. People he treated the same as any other in his life are protecting him even though he wanted to protect them.

He wishes to be strong.

Strong enough not to feel helpless and only able to sacrifice himself.

He aspired to be someone who could protect someone important to him.

Like them. Like the people who have gathered around him now. Protecting him without expecting anything in return. They are putting their lives in danger as if everything depends on it.

He had not expected the answers to his questions to be so straightforward.

Live for yourself... for your peace and happiness.

Cale's arms drop and he coughs violently.

"I'm not going to let go," he said again. He's bracing himself for another assault. He draws his sword from his waist and raises himself to defend himself against the enemy.

Bang! Bang! Shing! Shing!

"How dare you!" Antonio struggled to stand as he saw the familiar figures of the butler and chef in a black suits. Their clothes were stained with blood. Knives and a great sword-swinging fiercely.

"Well done, Young Master," the butler said softly as he approached them, but their enemies surrounded them.

Antonio stood tall, carrying both Cale and Taylor. He sees Alver moving faster to reach them. Antonio became aware of Cale's labored breathing. He panicked, oblivious to his predicament. He felt a strong tug from his left and turned to face Taylor, who was standing on his own two feet.