C3. Return To Beijing.

Chapter 3

The women in the capital with whom Sun Yurong was familiar often engaged in heated arguments. As soon as she found Yunzhu's vulnerable spot, she rushed over to taunt her.

To her surprise, Yunzhu didn't argue back and instead made a decisive move!

Sun Yurong couldn't gain any advantage from Yunzhu, and her brother Sun Guangfu, was a stout man with prominent ears; he ended up storming down the mountain in frustration.

After the siblings left, the pavilion returned to a state of tranquility.

Observing Yunzhu, Cao Shao noticed that, although she seemed nonchalant while admiring the scenery in the distant mountains, her tightly pursed lips revealed her lingering anger.

He approached her, gently touching her head, and advised, "She is just a crow. It's not worth arguing with her."

Yunzhu looked away.

She understood the logic but felt that it was her father who was being mocked. Perhaps only a living bodhisattva could ignore it.

"Let's go back," she said, waving away Cao Shao's hand as she began to descend the mountain.

Cao Shao realized that the matter could not be easily assuaged by words, so he opted to stay by her side silently.

Three days later, in the morning, the battle report from Ganzhou finally arrived in the capital.

Cao Xun, the Great Imperial Uncle, was reluctant to tarnish Li Yong's reputation due to their personal connections. However, as per protocol, all military information from the border had to be promptly reported to the court, and favoritism was not condoned.

Li Yong chose not to conceal his defeats. He wrote a confession and submitted it with the battle report.

In the court hall, Emperor Yuan Qing grew furious and ordered Li Yong to return to the capital, emphasizing that keeping him on the battlefield, even if not leading troops, would harm the morale of his soldiers.

The news quickly spread; if Li Yong had been an unknown military attache, his three consecutive defeats would only show his incompetence and attract criticisms.

If he wins, it is only natural. After all, a tiger father should not have a dog son.

However, Li Yong, as the son of the ever-victorious general old Duke, had been favored by Emperor Yuan Qing for twenty years and enjoyed substantial popularity, especially among the female citizens of the capital.

His downfall felt like going from glory to a pit. Formerly lauded, he now found himself mired in such disarray that even the beggars on the streets could mock him.

While normal people would simply comment and curse on Li Yong's failings with friends and family, certain gangs, who typically despised prosperous businessmen and officials, took great pleasure in cornering the Duke Ningguo's mansion, adding insult to injury.

"Madam, there are increasing numbers of troublemakers outside. Shall we tie them up and send them to the authorities?" the front yard steward asked with a morose expression upon entering Zhenghe Hall.

Looking at of those people, you can tell that they are not ordinary people. There are even enemies of Ning Guo Gongfu who are fanning the flames.

Observing the agitators, Meng shi, the mistress, was about to give the nod when Yunzhu sardonically remarked, "For such a small crime, sent to the authorities is nothing but two days of detention. They wouldn't have to do anything and they'd receive prison meals. It's too lenient."