C30. After Dawn.

Chapter 30

After a month of marriage, Cao Xun found himself frequently embraced by his young wife. Most of these moments occurred in the bedroom: she would hold him close, weeping or gently scratching him when she could no longer contain her emotions. Other times, she would act like a child, lounging comfortably on the second couch and then clinging to him, requesting to be carried to the inner room.

The girl's playful manner seemed so natural, as if she expected him to acquiesce to her every request without a thought of him refusing. Cao Xun, indeed, had never refused her small requests. After all, these were simple tasks that brought them both great joy.

"Just wanted to hug you," she would comment.

Hearing her words, Cao Xun couldn't help but smile, waiting for her to finish before speaking.

The river lanterns floated away into the distance, their soft glow creating a path, almost as if they were guiding wandering spirits without a home.

The July night was not uncomfortably cold, yet something made her uneasy in this stillness.

The Ghost Festival, also known as the Ghost Month, was at hand.

Cao Xun was about to embrace her a little tighter when, out of the blue, she inquired softly, "At what age did you start remembering things?"

Cao Xun took a moment to reflect. "Around three years old," he replied.

Yunzhu expressed surprise, "That early? I only recall memories from when I was six or seven."

"Why do you ask?" Cao Xun inquired gently.

At that moment, Yunzhu sat nestled in his embrace, her arms wrapped around him, her head resting on his shoulder. Gazing at his profile in the moonlight, she asked with a hint of compassion, "Since you can remember, has anyone ever embraced you like this before?"

Cao Xun suddenly comprehended the reason behind her desire to hold him.

He smiled, "I had a wet nurse."

Yunzhu realized that her sympathy was misplaced. A caring wet nurse was akin to a mother. Cao Xun must have received enough tenderness from her, judging by the calm manner in which he shared this information. After all, he was now a grown man in his thirties, perhaps past yearning for the familial affection that only children crave.

His shoulders were too broad, making it a strain for Yunzhu to reach around him for a hug. Realizing this, she released his hands and settled back into his lap, returning her focus to the drifting river lanterns.

Cao Xun playfully pinched her ear, "Were you feeling sorry for me just now?"

Yunzhu admitted, "A little, but now I understand that you don't need it at all."

"Indeed, my father is very good to me," Cao Xun remarked.

While Yunzhu had met his father, she remembered him as a commanding figure with fierce eyebrows and intense eyes. However, as he was of the same generation as his grandfather, Yunzhu naturally hadn't paid much attention to a man of his grandfather's age.

Cao Xun was so exceptional that the older man probably treated him as affectionately as his grandfather did his younger brother. After their fill of the river lanterns, the two returned to the Duke's Mansion by carriage. It was the Ghost Festival, and besides the riverside event, there wasn't much else of value to do in the city.

Despite the Ghost Festival, Cao Xun's vitality persisted. It wasn't until the second watch that Yunzhu finally no longer had to battle with his warmth. As she brushed against his body, she pulled the quilt closer and drifted off to sleep.