C88. Is Truth Only Valid When Doubted?

Chapter 88

Cao Xun engaged in conversation with the temple's master for half an hour. Upon his return, he discovered Yunzhu seated elegantly under the eaves of the corridor, with two young Taoist boys aged six or seven by her side.

Yunzhu was seated on a stool brought from the guest room, while the Taoist boys sat nervously on smaller stools they had found.

Upon seeing Cao Xun, Yunzhu remained seated, while the two Taoist boys stood up anxiously.

Although Cao Xun exuded an air of elegance, his status as the uncle of the current Emperor commanded respect from the Taoist priests. Even the young Taoist boys dared not meet his gaze.

Cao Xun had no choice but to instruct, "Please continue your conversation, I will retire indoors."

As he entered the room, the young Taoist boys relaxed and resumed sharing tales of life in the Taoist temple with Yunzhu.

Yunzhu listened intently, while Cao Xun, seated within, admired the slender and composed figure of the young lady from his vantage point.

He surveyed the shabby guest room once more, and in spite of having endured harsh conditions during his service at the border, he worried that Yunzhu might find it unbearable and consider returning to the capital the following morning.

The plain bench was uncomfortable for extended seating, prompting Yunzhu to reward the young Taoist boys and send them off. As she prepared to rise, Cao Xun's voice suddenly sounded from inside, "Don't move."

Yunzhu felt a tug on her skirt and had to maintain her seated position, as Lian Qiao came to her aid to free the caught fabric.

Cao Xun, who had already started walking away, paused.

Yunzhu instructed Lian Qiao to rest in the neighboring guest room, and as soon as the door closed, she went to the bed to remove her skirt, inspecting the snagged area. She then looked up at Cao Xun.

Curiously, the young lady seemed happy in the face of the damaged garment.

Cao Xun quickly assured, "I will replace it with ten skirts made of the same satin."

Yunzhu shifted the topic, "How will I descend the mountain when the rain stops tomorrow?"

Their main luggage was in another carriage, leaving only one bag and two emergency sets of clothes in their current carriage. Considering the wet state of the clothes she had just changed into, with the added issue of a torn skirt...

Cao Xun pointed out, "Thankfully, the hem is long enough to cover it."

Unhappy, Yunzhu queried, "What if the wind lifts the fabric?"

In reality, the small tear was hardly noticeable, but Yunzhu, wearing the damaged clothing, held high standards. With little else to occupy her time, she was only teasing Cao Xun.

His keen eyes caught on to the fact that the young lady was being intentionally difficult. Cooperatively, he furrowed his brow and responded, "How about I mend it for you?"

Yunzhu looked skeptical and displeased, "You know how to sew?"

Cao Xun replied, "If you haven't learned, it doesn't seem complicated."

Yunzhu smiled and instructed Lian Qiao to request a sewing kit from the Taoist temple.

Shortly after, guards brought over two sewing baskets filled with threads of various colors. Lian Qiao conveyed the items inside and departed.

Amidst the dim light, Cao Xun opened half of the window to thread the needle.

"Wait. Don't move," Yunzhu instructed, placing a handkerchief on the rough bench to prevent Cao Xun's attire from snagging.