C46. A Toast to Moderation.

Chapter 46

Yunzhu has been married to Cao Xun for two months and believes she has begun to understand some of his temperament.

During the day, he displayed a gentle and amiable demeanor. Even when Yunzhu behaved in a way that others would perceive as arrogant, Cao Xun was willing to support her, including the evening quarrel over Cao Shao, during which Cao Xun even went out of his way to give her a cloak outside the official residence.

At night, however, his gentleness gave way to dominance and stubbornness, often persisting until he made Yunzhu cry.

The howling north wind swept past the window repeatedly, making Yunzhu fear that her voice might carry to the neighboring Sun family's small courtyard. She kept her lips covered with her hand in response.

 Cao Xun's tall stature occasionally posed inconveniences yet allowed him to multitask effortlessly at other times.

 At that moment, he leaned in behind Yunzhu, kissed her ear, removed her hand, and turned her face.

 Yunzhu's mouth was then silenced by him.

 For a moment, Yunzhu felt great embarrassment as it far exceeded what her mother had told her about marriage or what was in the wedding pamphlet. But then she realized that it was Cao Xun who should be ashamed.

Huh, he went from playing hard-to-get on the wedding night to pulling out all the stops now.

What's his deal?

Tricks up his sleeve or just making things interesting?

As autumn surrenders to winter's embrace, the night air gradually tightens its grip, each evening weaving a slightly harsher chill into its tapestry. The moon, once a warm beacon, becomes a sentinel of the encroaching cold, its light a frosted silver against the deepening indigo sky.

As the nights grew cooler, after lying down, Cao Xun covered Yunzhu completely with the quilt to prevent her from feeling cold.

Yunzhu's face pressed against his strong chest, her moist eyelashes closed, her lips slightly parted, and she breathed softly.

Cao Xun rested his head on the pillow and gazed at her in this state.

If during the day she was the most beautiful and proud peony in the garden, at that moment she was like a peony plucked by bees at night.

Her face was wet, but she couldn't tell if it was tears or sweat.

Cao Xun wiped it away and ran his fingers back and forth before her eyes.

Yunzhu stared blankly, her mind echoing Sun Yurong's words. She and Cao Xun could live in harmony due to his competence and patience.

Her brother...

"Do you still have your oil?" she asked in a small voice, roused from her thoughts.

"Just now, were you feeling unwell?" Cao Xun replied.

He may have sensed something, or perhaps she had a sensitive disposition.

Annoyed, she hit him and asked, "Just tell me if you have it."

"I brought a total of ten bottles," Cao Xun answered.

At that time, he didn't know her level of acceptance or resistance, so he brought few more bottles just in case.

"So there are nine bottles remaining. Are they easily stored? Have they been damaged?" Yunzhu inquired.

"It can be kept for two years without opening and is best used within six months after opening," Cao Xun explained.