C9. Don't Worry, I Come With Antique Charm.

Chapter 9

On that fateful day, Emperor Yuanqing graciously welcomed the triumphant soldiers into the capital, drawing the attendance of numerous officials and noble ladies. Foremost among them was the subject of much discussion - Cao Xun, a man of eminent status who, despite his lofty position, remained unmarried. Yunzhu was not alone in her desire to draw nearer to him and observe the distinguished demeanor of the Great Imperial Uncle.

Regrettably, Cao Xun typically associated only with familiar military attaches or relatives and friends of the Cao family. Unlike idle young men who reveled in leisurely excursions to the mountains, it proved challenging for ladies to engage with him.

Emperor Yuanqing also harbored deep concern regarding Cao Xun's nuptial prospects.

That day, during his visit to Kunning Palace, after sharing a meal with Empress Cao, he brought up the matter of Cao Xun: "Have you encountered any young ladies during your return to the capital?"

Empress Cao felt conflicted.

Her mother had only recently entered the palace and had privately lamented about a dispute with Cao Xun. Empress Cao blamed her mother for interfering with the affairs of the Duke's Palace and receiving a rebuke from Cao Xun. Yet, she also fretted over the potential discord between Cao Xun and her half-sister.

While the Crown Prince was still young, Empress Cao relied heavily on Cao Xun's support. Despite her younger brother Cao Shao's remarkable talents, he remained a newcomer with little influence in the court.

Concealing these concerns, she smiled and relayed to Emperor Yuanqing, "I've heard from my mother that several suitable young ladies have visited our residence, but there exists a disparity between men and women, and my brother has not made an appearance."

Emperor Yuanqing discerned the underlying intricacies.

Young men sought the garden to meet ladies, but Cao Xun, approaching thirty, had reservations about such frivolity. However, the Emperor longed to see him wed and expressed his vexation at Cao Xun's lack of initiative in courting a suitable match.

Empress Cao suggested a potential solution, "Your Majesty, are you acquainted with the polo grounds in the west of the city?"

Emperor Yuanqing replied, "I am. I've been informed that young nobles frequent the place to engage in sport during their leisure time."

Empress Cao continued, "Indeed, not only that, but ladies who have not ventured outside the court also revel in attending to witness the game of polo."

In name, it was mere sporting entertainment, but in reality, it presented an opportunity for them to assess the prospective grooms from influential families.

Comprehending the underlying implications, Emperor Yuanqing nodded in understanding.

Amid the influence of Emperor Yuan Qing, word swiftly spread throughout the capital that the returning soldiers, led by Cao Xun, would engage in a fierce polo match with the soldiers stationed in Beijing, led by Li Yao, in the western part of the city.

It was rumored that all participating soldiers from both sides were under the age of thirty and unmarried.

Emperor Yuan Qing was on the verge of issuing an order to notify all the ladies to assemble and witness the game. Among the twenty military attachés of the two teams, there would surely be a suitable match for one of them!

The competition was set to take place on March 20, the officials' holiday.

In the early morning, Yunzhu's family convened in the Zhenghe Hall.