C58. When Empires Crumble Within.

Chapter 58

His grandmother's deception incited Emperor Qianxing's fury, as he also realized the inadequacy of Pan Maocai's abilities to apprehend a fugitive who had taken three lives with a kitchen knife.

In the past, Emperor Qianxing would have disregarded Pan Maocai entirely, regardless of his status as a seventh-grade military attache with a white-collar salary. But now, following the offenses committed by Pan Maocai and his family against him, Emperor Qianxing was not prepared to let it slide.

Having returned to the Governor's Mansion, Cao Xun summoned Commander Shen Kuo, of the third rank of Jinyiwei, to investigate "Pan Maocai's case of arresting a fugitive and committing crimes" at the Dongcheng Military and Horse Department.

Emperor Qianxing smiled and offered encouragement to Shen Kuo, expressing, "If you handle this case well, you will be duly rewarded."

Shen Kuo eagerly replied, "I obey your order!"

Desiring a promotion, Shen Kuo was well-aware that the first-in-command Li Yong no longer liked by the little emperor.

The little emperor presented him with the opportunity to ascend to the position of commander of the Jinyiwei.

The tides of power turn, dethroning the high and offering an opening for the lowly to ascend.

*

As the day drew to a close, Cao Xun anticipated the young emperor's command for Li Yao to travel to Fuzhou, Jiangxi, to suppress bandits.

Later that evening after dinner, Cao Xun suggested a leisurely stroll in the garden, which Yunzhu joined him for. As night fell and the lotus petals began to close, Yunzhu admired their beauty while Cao Xun waited patiently for her to be satisfied with the view.

Last year, Dingguo Palace's ponds saw a rebirth with the arrival of lotus blossoms. Yet, as dusk embraced the day, their white and pink petals began to fold inward, retreating like shy dancers into the water's embrace.

In a gentle golden light, Yunzhu's exquisite beauty was a sight to behold, as her delicate features were illuminated by the setting sun.

Bathed in the warmth of the sun's golden caress, her delicate profile emerged, framed by wisps of hair that danced playfully on the wind. A vision, complete in itself.

After she had taken in enough of the flowers, Cao Xun shared with her his afternoon meeting with the Emperor and the subject of her brother's potential employment.

Yunzhu's serene countenance suddenly turned somber. "Transitioning jobs" is just a polite euphemism, isn't it? The Emperor's true desire is to remove my brother from his position, isn't it?

She gazed at Cao Xun and inquired, "What did you say?"

Cao Xun responded, "There are formidable bandits in Fuzhou. Occupying the mountainous terrain grants an advantage in defense, making it challenging to launch an effective attack. I proposed to dispatch your brother to suppress the bandits. The Emperor deems it an exceptional plan. If all goes as expected, the decree will be issued tomorrow, appointing him the position of a general and assigning him to Fuzhou Prefecture with full reinforcements."

Yunzhu cast her eyes downward.

Jiangxi is a considerable distance from the capital; however, it unsettles my younger brother to travel so far away at his tender age. My elder brother, having established himself in marriage and business, might view this as an opportunity to exhibit independence when sent out to quell the bandits. Fighting bandits, though challenging, is less perilous than confronting barbarian cavalry. It may entail exertion, but it is unlikely to result in severe injuries or fatalities.