C80. Lie With Me For a While.

Chapter 80

On the sixth day of February, the cabinet artfully crafted the imperial edict in accordance with Emperor Qianxing's spoken directives.

Under the veil of Haishi, Emperor Qianxing, a mere thirteen years of age, succumbed to illness in the tender embrace of Empress Dowager Cao.

Amidst the sorrowful echoes within the palace walls, Empress Dowager Cao, consumed by the anguish of losing her son, was solely consumed by her grief. Thankfully, the ministers, having prepared the edict the day before, tactfully consulted with Empress Dowager Cao to determine who would be sent to Guizhou to guide in the new emperor.

In her wisdom, Empress Dowager Cao sent two eunuchs – one from the esteemed Cining Palace, and the other an aging eunuch previously trusted by Emperor Yuan Qing.

The first assistant, Xia Jin, sought to support the government but could not venture far, thus appointing the second assistant, Liu Ji, to go in his stead.

Minister of Rites, Ren Jingyi, was summoned to embark on the mission.

The weighty task also demanded the guarding of the capital, a duty entrusted to Emperor's uncle Cao Xun, while the young uncle, Cao Shao, was tasked with welcoming his nephew.

The nobles of the capital left the choice for the final member of the mission to their judgment, and it was unanimous that Duke Ningguo, Li Yong, was most suited for the role, as deemed by Empress Dowager Cao.

The mission’s burden was great, as they had to deliver Emperor Qianxing's final edict at the Li Palace in Guizhou, and safely escort the new emperor back to Beijing.

At this pivotal juncture of the throne's succession, who could assure that there would be no threat to the new emperor's life?

Thus, when Duke Ningguo's son, Li Xian, accompanied the new emperor, who could be more loyal and protective than Duke Ningguo?

It was widely believed that Duke Ningguo would ensure the new emperor's safe return to the capital, even at the risk of his own life.

Without delay, and with Emperor Qianxing's recent passing, Li Yong and the other members of the mission knelt and grieved throughout the night, before setting off before dawn with five thousand elite soldiers, previously mobilized from the Beijing Guards.

*

Emperor Qianxing's casket lay in rest in Fengtian Hall. Cao Xun dutifully maintained his vigil within the palace for three nights, until physical exhaustion nearly overcame him. Empress Dowager Cao persuaded him to depart for Dingguo Palace in a carriage.

Yunzhu had gone to the palace in the morning to mourn, and there was no need to return today. Upon learning of Cao Xun's return, Yunzhu felt bewildered.

In the recent days, Yunzhu had encountered Cao Xun multiple times as she visited the palace to mourn. He was always in the company of Empress Dowager Cao. The two of them exchanged only fleeting glances and had no opportunity for conversation.

Yunzhu was at a loss for words. Should she inquire if he had arranged the Emperor's demise?

Not only Cao Xun, but even if Yunzhu had committed such a treacherous act, she would keep it hidden at all costs. She wouldn't disclose even the slightest hint to her parents or anyone else. Some secrets were better off buried deep within, for the safety of all involved.

There are some truths that don’t need to be told, but should just be understood in one’s heart.

With the Emperor's passing, she would no longer have to tolerate his advances. If King Li were to ascend the throne, her family would likely continue to receive favor.