C39. Can Anger Become My Ally?

Chapter 39

Yunzhu immediately caught Cao Xun's words.

A moment ago, she was teasing him for playing the role of a good brother. Unexpectedly, Cao Xun immediately returned the favor, mocking her for never forgetting her former sweetheart.

Yunzhu refused to accept the accusation, ceased laughing, and looked at him sternly: "Who hasn't seen enough? You have wronged me."

Nevertheless, Cao Xun just smiled. Even though he said nothing, the implication of "you know it in your heart" was quite evident.

Such a dismissive smile is more vexing than stating it outright.

He seemed thoroughly convinced about this matter. No matter how much Yunzhu explained, he would not believe it. It would only make things more obscure, leading it to appear as if he were truly guilty.

Yunzhu would not allow herself to be drawn into that situation. It was always the case that others were eager to prove their true feelings to her.

"He won the first prize in the hunting competition. I would like to claim that I did not even look at him. That's impossible. But if you say that I kept staring at him, I wouldn't admit it. The rest is up to you. I slept all afternoon. I am going for a walk."

When an explanation was required, Yunzhu no longer looked at Cao Xun's face and instead led Lian Qiao out directly. She left the courtyard, turned left, and within a few steps, she entered the small courtyard where her mother's family lived.

Li Yong, Meng Shi, and Li Xian were also eating, but Li Yao was not there.

Observing her daughter's late arrival, Meng Shi asked curiously, "Why are you here so late?"

Yunzhu replied, "It's too late. I believe the sunset outside is beautiful, and I am going for a walk with my mother."

Meng Shi observed her daughter's expression carefully: "Have you had dinner? Why don't you ask Fushan to accompany you?"

Just as Yunzhu was about to respond, there were footsteps outside. It was Li Yao, who had returned, wearing the scarlet official uniform of the imperial guard.

Seeing his sister, Li Yao said joyfully, "Yunzhu is here too."

Yunzhu addressed her brother: "I just arrived. Did my arrival alter our plans?"

Li Yao nodded. Being hungry, he quickly sat down at the vacant seat in front of the dining table. Since the maid had not brought the bowls and chopsticks yet, Li Yao looked at the dishes on the table and attempted to take some from the plate, selecting a piece of braised chicken leg.

Li Yong tapped the back of his eldest son's hand with his chopsticks.

Li Yao felt aggrieved: "I am almost starving, why must we be so particular?"

Li Xian, who had nearly finished eating, silently handed his pair of serving chopsticks to his brother.

Meng Shi shook her head and sighed: "Just like you. Even if you return with a wife, people will be unhappy when they see your habitual rough style."

Li Yao responded, "Stop talking. I am content being alone. If I marry another person and they have to deal with me every day, why should I make them suffer?"

Meng Shi did not waste any more time and continued to inquire why her daughter had not invited her son-in-law to accompany her.

Casual jesting would only raise suspicion within the family, so Yunzhu had to invent an excuse: "I heard that Cao Shao was injured in the hunting ground, and your son-in-law specially called people over to inquire about it, and even kept him for dinner here. I believe he does not take my feelings into account at all, and now that I do not hold him in high regard, why would I ask him to go for a walk?"