C60. Where Happiness Soars, The Sky Beckons.

Chapter 60

In late June, a few days after Li Yao departed from Beijing, Li Yong found himself interrogating a prisoner in Jinyiwei Prison. During this interrogation, the prisoner managed to break free from his restraints, seize a torture instrument and dagger, and launch a surprise attack on Li Yong.

Although he managed to evade the worst of it, he was nonetheless stabbed in the shoulder. When the other Jinyi guards were finally able to subdue the assailant, half of Li Yong's clothing was drenched in blood.

While such wounds are commonplace on the battlefield, each one carries a significant risk. A punctured artery can lead to fatal blood loss, while damage to a vital part of the lungs can also prove lethal. Even if one avoids these more serious consequences, the road to recovery is fraught with peril. Indeed, during his convalescence, Li Yong succumbed to other illnesses and passed away.

Li Yong was transported back to Ningguo's mansion.

Upon receiving news of the incident, Emperor Qianxing promptly arranged for a carriage to be prepared, intending to personally visit Li Yong at Ningguo Gongfu.

Empress Dowager Cao, upon learning of this, rushed to dissuade him. "Your Majesty is still young, and there may be assassins lying in wait outside the palace. It would be unwise to venture out so easily."

Emperor Qianxing replied, "I am protected by my imperial guards. It will not be so simple for assassins to succeed."

This was the capital, under the rule of the emperor. If he were unable to move freely within the capital, then what was the point of his rule?

Regardless of Empress Dowager Cao's protests, Emperor Qianxing called for two imperial doctors and hundreds of imperial guards and set off for the palace.

At the Ningguo Duke's Mansion, a doctor tended to Li Yong's wounds, applying golden medicine to aid in his recovery.

Throughout his ordeal, Li Yong continued to suffer from cold sweats, but he managed to smile at his wife, who stood by his side. "It's nothing, these minor injuries are common on the frontier," he reassured her.

Meng, however, was incensed. "Be silent. You've only gone to battle once; there's no need to boast in front of me."

Li Yong was left with no option but to fall silent.

After applying the medicine, the physician explained, "Given the heat of summer, the Duke's wound should be kept as dry as possible. There is no need to wrap it with gauze at this time."

Meng shi made a firm mental note of this instruction.

Once the doctor had departed, Emperor Qianxing arrived before the couple had an opportunity to speak. Li Yong, with his shoulder half exposed, was upheld by Meng shi as they stepped out to greet him.

As the daughter-in-law, Gu Min had been standing outside the door. Upon seeing her father-in-law emerge, she quickly lowered her gaze and felt a deep sense of sorrow.

The three of them then proceeded to the front yard, where they encountered Emperor Qianxing, who was hurrying in. Eunuch Wan stood to the left, and to the right was Yang Mingdong, the recently promoted commander of the imperial guard.

It was unfortunate that Yang Mingdong had been overshadowed by Pan Maocai in the Dongcheng Soldiers and Horses Division, where all his achievements had been claimed by the Pan family. Although merely twenty-five years old, Yang Mingdong, born to humble origins, excelled in the use of the sword, having learned exceptional skills from his father. In terms of martial arts, he may have rivaled some generals. Initially aspiring to join the 26th Guards Army, his pride and youth had offended the officials in charge of selecting elite soldiers, leading to his failure. Consequently, he had to settle for the Five Cities Soldiers and Horses Division.