C19. The Invitation Beyond the Veil.

Chapter 19

The Duke Ningguo's Mansion bustled with activity from the early hours of the morning.

Yunzhu had been an independent thinker since childhood. Aside from her parents, those around her had always heeded her words. Yet today, she found herself relinquishing control, becoming a bride manipulated by others. Even the amount of water she drank and food she ate fell under the watchful eye of Quan furen, all to ensure no mishaps occurred during the sedan chair procession or at the groom's residence.

A woman marries but once in her lifetime. For the sake of a smooth wedding, these minor inconveniences could be endured.

The most distressing process for Yunzhu was the removal of her facial hair, performed by Xi Niang, who delicately used fine threads to eliminate the hair on her forehead and temples.

Duke Ningguo's mansion had engaged the services of Xi Niang, a woman with exceptional mastery. Despite her swift movements, Yunzhu couldn't help but inhale sharply, a sheen of tears forming in her eyes.

Glancing at her, Xi Niang's heart skipped a beat. The young bride was a vision of beauty. It had been well worth Cao Xun's wait until the age of thirty to marry. If he had chosen a wife in his twenties, he would likely have missed the opportunity to meet the esteemed Li family and this captivating young woman.

After completing her work, several of Yunzhu's sisters arrived one by one.

The first to arrive was Yunzhu's cousin, Meng Yuehua.

Yunzhu's maternal family, the Meng family, is a family of scholars. Her grandfather is well-educated and currently serves as a scholar's lecturer in the Hanlin Academy. While his official position is not high, he lectures to the Emperor, Crown Prince, and princes, making him a close official of the emperor. This position is almost unattainable for ordinary people.

Meng Yuehua, at just fifteen years old, shared a strict temperament with her grandfather, making Yunzhu often hesitant to spend time with her cousin. However, if anyone were to bully Meng Yuehua, Yunzhu would be the first to defend her.

Upon seeing Yunzhu dressing up, Meng Yuehua's eyes filled with tears before she spoke.

Yunzhu smiled and inquired, "Why are you crying?"

Meng Yuehua sat down beside her and whispered, "My sister is about to leave the boudoir, and I can't bear to witness it."

Yunzhu replied, "You rarely come to play with me anyway, so why are you reluctant to part with me now?"

Meng Yuehua's tears flowed even more fiercely, feeling deliberately provoked by her cousin.

Meng Shi was busy attending to matters outside. Upon her return, she observed her daughter beaming and her niece's eyes filled with emotion, finding it amusing.

Sun Yurong, Gu Min, and Xie Wenying arrived almost simultaneously.

Sun Yurong also expressed reluctance and said sadly, "Now that you are getting married, I don't even know who I can turn to for fun."

Yunzhu countered, "Haven't I seen you with a group of little sisters before? They were all fawning over you."

Sun Yurong realized that they were different – fawning over her with the knowledge that their allegiances would change if her family's fortunes did. Only Yunzhu, who was aloof and uninterested in flattery, remained constant.

Yunzhu assured her, "You don't have to worry. You're only a year younger than me. Perhaps you'll be engaged before long."

Sun Yurong glared at her, wondering if she truly believed that any girl from the Duke's mansion was a sought-after commodity.