C20. Starving Yunzhu Seeks Breakfast.

Chapter 20

Yunzhu had read the instructional booklet in advance, but the reality of the moment was entirely different from the static and rigid lines on the page.

She covered her mouth in an attempt to stifle any embarrassing sounds, not wanting to betray her own unease.

Unconcerned with her discomfort, Cao Xun simply watched in silence.

Initially avoiding looking at him, Yunzhu found some relief with her hot cheeks pressed against the cool pillow. However, in a chance moment, Yunzhu's searching gaze accidentally met Cao Xun's intense and lingering eyes fixed on her.

A deep sense of embarrassment gripped Yunzhu. She was convinced her appearance was disheveled at the very least. Yet, when she noticed Cao Xun's composed demeanor, her heart unexpectedly skipped a beat.

She looked at him with incredulity.

Cao Xun remained composed, his raised eyebrows and clear eyes seemingly unaffected by her awkwardness, although his breathing had grown heavier. It was as if he was observing her every move impartially, or perhaps... appreciating her beauty in this moment, if she still looked beautiful to him.

"Why are you staring at me like this?" Yunzhu found herself irrationally irritated. It was as if they had fallen into water together and she was utterly drenched, while Cao Xun remained untouched by a single drop of water.

Raising an eyebrow slightly, Cao Xun responded, "Can't you tell?"

Yunzhu nodded, "...Yes."

A small smile graced Cao Xun's lips before he closed his eyes.

Though Yunzhu was clearly compliant in the moment, she didn't feel the impulse to release her frustration; instead, she seized the opportunity to observe her newly-wedded husband.

Presently, Cao Xun was completely naked, and Yunzhu's gaze drifted to his slender neck and broad shoulders. The feel of his skin was just as she remembered, as soft as jade and showing no signs of aging.

Perhaps thirty isn't so old after all?

Suddenly, Cao Xun lowered his head, using one hand to lift her shoulders. In response to avoid hanging her head back, Yunzhu wrapped her arms around his neck in cooperation and asked in a delicate and trembling voice, "What are you doing?"

Her words barely audible, Cao Xun's throat seemed to tighten in response, but he offered no answer, only tightening his grip on her.

Yunzhu continued, "You—"

*

Since Cao Xun's dismissal, Lian Qiao and Shili had been stationed outside the neighboring room. After an uncomfortable wait of about forty-five minutes, the sound of crisp bells finally broke the silence.

The two maids were well-versed in their duties for the evening. Shili went to fetch water from the water room, while Lian Qiao, blushing, entered the inner chamber.

Shiliu was taken aback to see Cao Xun seated at the table, donning a red silk coat as he sipped tea.

Setting down his cup, Cao Xun gazed at the bed concealed behind the intricately carved screen and commanded, "Go and assist the lady in changing her attire."

During the last fifteen minutes, Lian Qiao had been too upset to seek assistance.

Hurrying over, Lian Qiao made her way around the screen and caught sight of her mistress lying on the bed in a disheveled state, with a red tunic haphazardly draped over her, a quilt beneath her, and discarded trousers of the same hue nearby.