C12. Presence Seals Your Fate.

Chapter 12

On the following day, Yunzhu penned an invitation and had it delivered to Gu's residence by a maid.

Gu Min was notably surprised upon receiving the invitation. Residing in the same capital, she had frequently heard about Yunzhu's assertive actions from other women, yet had never truly interacted with her. At most, their encounters had been limited to polite nods at social gatherings.

Her mother, Madam Zhao, smiled and remarked, "You must have presented Heir Li with a red ribbon, and Miss Li desires to cultivate a friendship with you."

Madam Zhao was well-informed of the events at the polo field as well. Li Yao had only garnered three red ribbons, but the one bestowed by Gu Min had been particularly eye-catching.

Teased by her mother, Gu Min blushed slightly and offered an explanation, "I genuinely just hold the utmost respect for the venerable Duke. Duke Ningguo's knowledge of military strategy is commendable. I simply could not bear to see Heir Li recklessly endanger himself. I merely used the opportunity to caution him. Moreover, as you are aware, the time has arrived for the formal engagement between the Great Imperial Uncle and the heir Xie of the Changxing Marquis House. Any indication of favor, such as my bestowing a red ribbon, can easily lead to misconceptions among onlookers."

Zhao shi elegantly commented, "It appears that Heir Li and Cao Shao are of similar age..."

Gu Min gracefully replied, "But with his stature, who could possibly mistake him for your daughter?"

It seemed that all the wives were content with the title of Duke Ningguo, except Gu Min. None of the ladies she knew showed any interest in Li Yao, and they would never mock a girl simply for mentioning him. Falling for Li Yao.

Zhao shi had heard that Duke Ningguo furen had always been concerned about her eldest son's marriage, and cautioned her daughter, "I fear that Ningguo furen may misunderstand you, hence she sent her daughter to test your intentions."

If her daughter truly had affections for Li Yao, Zhao shi would not object, but since her daughter had no such inclinations, it was best to be clear about it sooner.

Gu Min stated firmly, "Do not fret, mother. If Miss Li truly wishes to test me, I will firmly discourage her."

After bidding farewell to her mother, Gu Min retired to the study to draft a response.

Upon receiving it, Yunzhu noticed that Gu Min was willing to accompany her to the city to enjoy the spring. However, due to prior engagements with other ladies, Gu Min was only free on August 25th.

Yunzhu was unsurprised. The number of noble families in the capital was undeniably fewer than that of civil servants. Gu Shoufu and his son had colleagues and old friends in the same field. With numerous civil servants coming and going, Gu Min naturally had more acquaintances than Yunzhu. Today's girls were accustomed to hopping from one household to another, making their social calendars quite busy.

On the twenty-fifth day, the carriage from Duke Ningguo's mansion arrived at Gu's mansion fifteen minutes early, as scheduled.

Out of courtesy, Yunzhu must visit Gu Min's grandmother and mother before leaving. The two ladies of the Gu family were gracious, complimenting Yunzhu with smiles, and presenting a gift before sending the girls on their way.

As they boarded the carriage, Yunzhu gazed at the jade bracelet on her wrist and remarked to Gu Min, "I extended the invitation to you, yet I seem to have gained two benefits."

Gu Min courteously expressed, "Sister, you have seen everything rare in Duke's Mansion, so please do not feel disheartened."

Gu Min, at merely sixteen years old, was two years younger than Yunzhu, yet her demeanor exuded a gentle and modest charm, making her appear more like an elder sister.