C100. He Has A Real Home In The Capital.

Chapter 100

The following day, Cao Xun had to attend to matters at the Governor's Mansion. He rose early, while Yunzhu sat up. By the time he was ready, Cao Xun had donned his scarlet official uniform.

The early morning sunlight filtered in through the window paper, casting a warm glow. Despite nearing the age of forty, Cao Xun displayed a commanding yet elegant bearing with his tall and straight figure, broad shoulders, and lean waist.

His military background had endowed him with a handsomeness and dignity that were heightened by his attire.

Impressed by the striking sight, Yunzhu couldn't help but steal a few more glances.

Sensing her gaze, Cao Xun approached the bedside, embraced her, and said, "Would you freshen up while I go to the front yard?"

At that moment, the two children were expected to come over to greet them.

Yunzhu wrapped her arms around his neck, met his gaze, and said, "Do you know who among all the elders in the capital I dislike the most?"

Cao Xun smiled, "Madam Pan?"

Yunzhu glared at him, "I no longer regard her as an elder."

Cao Xun recognized that she was referring to someone else. After a moment's thought, a particular figure came to mind, "Duke of Qi?"

Sun Chao, the Duke of Qi, was the father of Sun Yurong. Both the Sun and Li families were esteemed nobles in the capital, and their relationship had always been amicable. Naturally, the Duke of Qi was one of the elders acquainting Yunzhu.

Cao Xun was adept at understanding her thoughts, so Yunzhu was unsurprised by his conjecture. She elucidated, "I never cared for him when I was younger. It's not due to his weight or capability, but rather his treatment of his son. Whenever Sun Guangfu errs, Duke Qiguo would first reprimand him and then resort to physical punishment. Sun Guangfu must be afraid of him; he displays obedience when in his presence, but misbehaves behind his back. Now you understand Sun Guangfu's circumstances. They say strict fathers produce filial sons, yet Duke Qiguo's relationship with his son is not much better."

Cao Xun gently reassured her with a pat on the shoulder and said, "I won't quarrel with the children."

Yunzhu remarked, "You don't need to take action, your stern expression is intimidating enough. I don't object to you looking after Bing’er, but your method of training and then leaving him to reflect on his own lacks tenderness. It's as if he's being punished. What's the difference between this cold treatment and physical discipline? Ultimately, it's about making him obey you out of fear."

Cao Xun remained silent.

Yunzhu continued, "Bing'er is stubborn, but he's also very perceptive. He's noticed how often you furrow your brow, and now he's afraid of you. Do you really want to raise a child who hides from you?"

Cao Xun didn't want that at all, so he gently ruffled her hair and said, "Alright, I understand."

Yunzhu assured him, "Okay, you can go ahead. Don't worry, I won't spoil him. They were rare to go out together yesterday, so I didn't want to ruin their fun."

Cao Xun nodded and waited for Lian Qiao and Shiliu to enter before leaving.

As he walked along the veranda, Cao Xun reflected on his own childhood.

He had no mother, only a father who was often away at war. Every time his father returned home, he had to attend to his wife and concubines and educate other children, leaving little time for Cao Xun.

At the age of five or six, Cao Xun had his mischievous moments. Sometimes he would deliberately disobey Pan Shi, and sometimes he would be goaded by Pan Shi to make mistakes in front of his father. His father would then discipline him severely. When he closed himself away to reflect on his misdeeds or to transcribe books, his father had already gone to tend to more important matters or spend time with those he cared about more.