C67. "I am willing to be manipulated by you."

Chapter 67

When Cao Xun left the administrative office, the setting sun cast a golden hue on the bluestone road outside. In the distance, wisps of green smoke rose from the chimneys of some residences, carried away by the autumn wind and dissipated into the air.

Following the path of the dissipating smoke with his eyes, Cao Xun grasped the reins and mounted his horse. Ah Jiu followed closely behind, catching a glimpse of his master's handsome profile.

Duke Dingguo, in his early thirties, displayed a face free of wrinkles, yet his over ten years of service at the border had imbued the word "maturity" into his very being. This maturity lent a calm and restrained air to his demeanor, and his smile exuded a sense of broad-mindedness. When he smiled, there was a natural air of dignity far surpassing that of a man in his twenties.

Ah Jiu had always believed that his master possessed the skill to conceal his emotions and frustrations. However, recently, he sensed a faint air of discontent from him, and couldn't fathom the cause.

Hu Bochang, always at odds with his master, was now deceased. Though Xia Jin, the newly appointed Minister of War, did not share a friendly relationship with his master, in reality, his fate was firmly in his master's hands. Everything was progressing smoothly in the political realm, and the young lady at home perpetually beamed at the sight of the master.

So, what was there for the master to worry about?

Unconsciously, they arrived at a crossroads. The path to the west led to Duke Dingguo's Mansion, but Cao Xun turned his horse toward the east. Ah Jiu suddenly comprehended that his master intended to visit the Marquis of Huai'an.

"You should return home and inform Madam that I have some prior engagements, and she needn't wait for me for dinner."

*

At the Huai'an Marquis Mansion, Zhang Xingjian and Liu Jing were preparing to dine, unaware of Cao Xun's impending arrival.

Their son, Zhang Hu, remained at the palace as Emperor Qianxing's companion, and the couple was solely accompanied by their daughter Tuantuan, who was nearly eight months old.

Cao Xun paused at the alley's corner. "You can discern who has eaten and who hasn't based on the chimney smoke," he mused. As the days grew shorter after autumn, he awaited a meal while the setting sun vanished, and night descended like mist upon him.

When he arrived outside the gate of the Marquis' Mansion in Huai'an, Zhang Xingjian and his wife had just finished their meal. Stepping out to meet him, Liu Jing cradled their daughter in her arms.

At just eight months old, Tuantuan's features already resembled Liu Jing's, with the hint of a smile reminiscent of Zhang Xingjian. Perhaps due to the lack of social activities at the mansion, Tuantuan was fairly familiar with everyday life. Fortunately, Cao Xun visited frequently and enjoyed her company. As a result, Tuantuan had taken a liking to him and eagerly sought a hug from her uncle.

Accepting his niece into his arms, Cao Xun followed Liu Jing inside. While playing with Tuantuan's fingers, he inquired of Liu Jing, "How have you been, sister-in-law?"

Liu Jing beamed warmly, "Not too bad. The imperial physician has prescribed some pain relief medicine, and I've been able to eat a bit more."

Cao Xun replied, "Then I'll have a few more doses brought to you."

Zhang Xingjian relied almost entirely on expensive medication to survive at this point, rendering the Zhang family burdened. Liu Jing couldn't refuse, recognizing Cao Xun's intention. Grateful but sensitive to the implications it posed for their brotherhood, she softly expressed her thanks.