C16. Imperial Edict: Duke Dingguo's Marriage Fate.

Chapter 16

After centuries of decline, the Great Xia Dynasty experienced a renaissance under the rule of Emperor Yuan Qing. People were able to enjoy an abundance of food, and all the lost lands in Jiuzhou were reclaimed.

However, Emperor Yuan Qing himself was not a particularly diligent ruler. He entrusted reforms to Gu Shoufu, a newcomer, and delegated the military to loyal and trustworthy generals. Possessing an acute understanding of people and a knack for delegation, Emperor Yuan Qing led a relatively leisurely existence. In his youth, he enjoyed his time with his concubines. After attending to the matters of the harem, Emperor Yuan Qing lost interest in physical beauty and turned his attention toward self-cultivation and the pursuit of immortality. He also kept dozens of cats and led the pleasurable life of an emperor.

Despite his leisurely lifestyle, Emperor Yuan Qing faithfully attended court on every fifth day of the month.

The ministers began their discussions, which Emperor Yuan Qing initially listened to attentively. However, as the ministers became embroiled in argument, the emperor's patience waned. Due to the ministers' unwavering dedication to serving the country, Emperor Yuan Qing, finding it difficult to intervene, adopted an upright posture and toyingly observed the courtiers below.

Ah, Gu Shoufu's beard seemed to have gained several more grey hairs - a sign of high and influential authority, but one that exacted a toll on his life.

Cao Xun was truly imposing. He maintained his composure and responded calmly when questioned by civilian officials. He seemed to be fitting material for the role of head Tutor. In contrast, Li Yao would have become infuriated.

Rumors had reached him that the Minister of Personnel had taken in another concubine, undoubtedly consolidating his influence.
After lingering for over half an hour, today's court session finally drew to a close.

Subsequently, Emperor Yuan Qing was obligated to spend further time with his cabinet ministers.

Upon finally being able to relax, Emperor Yuan Qing had just tasked a young eunuch with bringing his favorite plump orange cat to him when a high-ranking eunuch arrived with a message, announcing that the Duke Dingguo wished to meet with him.

Given the familial nature of the visit, Emperor Yuan Qing saw no need to put on airs, instead opting to comfortably pet the cat as he awaited Cao Xun's arrival. If it had been Gu Shoufu, the emperor would have had to conceal the cat and somewhat downplay his yearning for such indulgences.

"Wei ministers pay homage to the Emperor," saluted Cao Xun respectfully.

Emperor Yuan Qing smiled and replied, "No formalities, but is there an urgent matter at the Governor's Mansion?"

Cao Xun, feeling ashamed, responded, "At the Governor's Office, there are no significant matters to report at present. I have a personal request for the Emperor."

At the mention of this, Emperor Yuan Qing's eyes lit up, and he leaned in, asking, "Do you have a favored future wife?"

As a warrior who had devoted his life to serving his country, how could he not be concerned about marriage and the legacy he would leave as an emperor?

It could be said that Emperor Yuan Qing was not in a hurry to select a princess for the nineteen-year-old first prince, but instead, he was eager to swiftly resolve Cao Xun's marriage situation.

Cao Xun nodded, appearing somewhat abashed.

Emperor Yuan Qing smiled and remarked, "It's a rare sight to see you in such a playful manner. I'm growing increasingly curious. Do tell me, which lady has captured your heart?"