C77. Yunzhu, Trust Me And Wait for Me.

Chapter 77

As her brother returned to Beijing, Yunzhu couldn't help but notice a radiant glow emanating from her sister-in-law Gu Min's face. It was a sweet happiness that simply sparkled in her eyes.

Apart from her parents, Yunzhu considered her brother and sister-in-law the closest couple she knew. There was a different kind of sweetness with Liu Jing and Zhang Xingjian, though. Theirs was tinged with a touch of sadness due to Zhang Xingjian's illness.

"Looks like my brother's return has you happier than even Chinese New Year, huh?" Yunzhu teased with a playful smile.

Gu Min swatted playfully at her, "Oh, you! Keep it up and I might just pretend you don't exist next time you visit."

Their conversation flowed easily, filled with updates about everyday life and Li Yao's new job.

Gu Min sighed. "Honestly, I thought for sure the emperor would assign him as a deputy commander in the Royal Guards or somewhere in Beijing to help him temper that fiery spirit of his. You know, the whole 'tough love' approach. Instead, he gets named commander of the Jinwu Vanguard?"

The implication was clear: if the emperor truly wanted to make things difficult for her husband, this new position could be a whole new level of trouble.

"Yunzhu," Gu Min began, her voice laced with curiosity, "be honest with me. Did your husband pull some strings to get this appointment in front of the emperor?"

Gu Min furrowed her brow, this explanation settling uncomfortably in her gut as the most likely scenario.

Yunzhu offered a tight smile. "It's a possibility," she admitted. "I asked him, but he didn't share anything about his influence."

Gu Min replied, "He is dependable. He isn't one to seek credit for his good deeds."

Yunzhu let this conversation pass through one ear and out the other. She couldn't say for sure if Cao Xun had helped, but she believed that it was because of her efforts that the young emperor didn't cause any trouble for her brother, at least for the time being.

Men of good reputation valued keeping their promises, unless absolutely forced otherwise. The young emperor, despite his age, wielded undeniable authority. His word held significant weight.

Why sully it with a broken vow?

On further reflection, the Li family's conflict with the young emperor seemed superficial. The only lingering concern stemmed from the late emperor's decision to appoint Yunzhu's brother as the second prince's companion, which had ruffled the young emperor's feathers.

Now, with her brother stationed in Guizhou, her father back home, and her in-laws, the Gu family, out of courtly affairs, the Li family no longer posed a threat to the young emperor. This presented Yunzhu with an interesting opportunity. It seemed reasonable for her to capitalize on the young emperor's evident fondness for her to secure her current position.

Doubts regarding the sincerity of the young emperor's affection gradually dissipated from Yunzhu's mind. After all, he was a mere thirteen, likely still navigating the awkwardness of adolescence.

At that age, even accomplished men like Cao Shao and Xie Lang had displayed overt or subtle attempts to impress her. Perhaps, the purity of youthful infatuation, devoid of adult complexities, explained the young emperor's behavior.

Furthermore, even if the young emperor harbored such impure thoughts, he was nothing like Emperor Liang Wen, as mentioned by Cao Xun.

During Emperor Liang Wen's reign, it was the decline of the Liang Dynasty. The emperor was ignorant and treacherous, and ceremonial rituals and music were in ruins. Absurd behavior was rife during that era. Emperor Liang Wen was akin to a broken jar, even making advances toward his widowed aunt without hesitation.