C78. Assassination: Urgent Message for Cao Xun.

Chapter 78

On the 25th of the first lunar month, Cao Xun left Beijing. He'd confidently promised to have the young emperor forget about Yunzhu within five days.

Despite his bravado, Yunzhu sensed the emperor's impatience might fizzle out soon. Still, the "what ifs" gnawed at her.

Feigning illness right after Cao Xun's departure wouldn't raise any red flags. The next morning, Yunzhu played up her unwellness and called for a doctor. Sleepless nights and a weak pulse easily secured a calming medicine prescription.

Pan Shi's facade of concern crumbled upon his return, replaced by a sneer. "War is a well-trodden path for men of our stature, Yunzhu," he mocked. "Yet, even after your retreat to the mountains, your anxieties cling to you like a shadow. Fear not, your worries are misplaced. Your late grandfather was a legend, his campaigns whispered in awe. Though you were but a child then, understand the stark difference that awaits. While your father and brothers bask in the capital's opulent embrace, you've known only isolation. It's no wonder the prospect unnerves you."

"Nevertheless," Yunzhu countered, her sole concern being that Pan Shi deliver the news to the palace with all haste.

After Pan Shi departed, Yunzhu, pretending anger, took Lian Qiao and Shiliu back to her parents' home to recover.

Pan Shi, though secretly enjoying the little display, couldn't help but worry about Yunzhu stirring up trouble. "Goodness," she fretted to her daughter, "the poor girl was clearly beside herself. I meant well, offering some solace, but clearly I misread the situation. Thank heavens she's not officially part of our biological family, or this might prove more troublesome."

Empress Dowager Cao, knowing Yunzhu and her mother, did not take the petty quarrel to heart.

Emperor Qianxing arrived, specially concerned about his beautiful aunt's situation after his uncle's departure. Pan Shi took the opportunity to highlight Yunzhu’s behavior to the Emperor and emphasize the importance of a woman's character in choosing a concubine.

Emperor Qianxing appeared to be listening, and yet he caught the phrase "Aunt Beauty was sick because she was worried about her uncle who was going to war."

This was nothing out of the ordinary for Emperor Qianxing. In his eyes, his beautiful aunt already appeared quite frail, and even amid her illness, she was concerned about his uncle's impending expedition. Since she was unwell, she needed to take care of herself. Emperor Qianxing also needed more time to prepare and ensure that everything was done discreetly.

He was aware that his plans were unconventional and forbidden. He did not want to incur his mother's, ministers', and people's wrath, nor did he want his uncle to become aware. It was precisely because of the challenge that he looked forward to achieving his desires. Satisfying one's divine taste was easy, but it lacked excitement.

*

Meng Shi did not truly desire her daughter to return to her parents' home frequently. It wasn't that she didn't cherish her daughter, but such actions might expose her to criticism.

However, upon seeing her daughter's exhausted and gaunt appearance, Meng Shi realized that her daughter was genuinely worried about her son-in-law's problems. At that moment, she cared little about others' opinions; all she wanted was to uplift her daughter's spirits.

"Silly girl, you've been through a lot. Why are you still so troubled?" As night fell, Meng Shi visited her daughter to prevent her from being consumed by distressing thoughts before sleep. She sat by her daughter's bedside and gently touched her forehead.

Yunzhu collapsed onto her mother's lap, weeping. She was not afraid of making a deal with the young emperor but feared his avarice and the potential repercussions for her family's survival.