C29. Just a Hug For You.

Chapter 29

The day preceding the Ghost Festival, Yunzhu returned to her parents' abode.

Li Yao was in attendance at the emperor's court, Li Xian was engrossed in his studies at the academy, and only Meng shi emerged to retrieve her daughter.

Yunzhu: "Is father out again?"

Meng: "No, if he didn't parade around quite so shamelessly every day, I might suspect he had a dalliance outside."

Yunzhu smiled, "If our father is so carefree in his advanced age, you should refrain from teasing him."

Meng sighed, "I have no idea what he's up to outside. I'd prefer he be idle at home than endure the disgrace."

Yunzhu: "You seem to think that since you can't see him, he must be loitering in front of you every day, and you want to pester him."

Meng nodded at her daughter, "You've only been married a few days and already think to dictate to me."

After a brief argument, Meng instructed the maids to withdraw and gloated, "Did you hear the rumor that the Marquis of Changxing has rejected Cao Shao's marriage proposal?"

Yunzhu was unaware, "Madam Marquis Changxing mentioned it to Pan shi in private. Even if the Xie family refused, they wouldn't publicize it. Pan shi shouldn't have spread it. She and Cao Xun are not like that."

Meng smiled, "Ever since you became Cao Shao's 'sister', Pan shi has been very interested in the Xie family. She frequently praises Wenying in front of others. It's plain to see what she's aiming for. When Fushan returned and brought an unmarried stepson, Pan shi delayed proposing marriage to the Xie family. She recently sent Wenying's mother to offer incense. How many people noticed her along the way? Can you guess?"

Yunzhu had already said her piece to Pan shi and no longer cared about her embarrassment, "Whatever happens to her, it's not our concern. Mother, let's not mention her. Let's only talk about happy things."

Meng's interest was piqued as she gazed at her daughter's belly, "Yes?"

Yunzhu, "It's only been a month, how could it happen so quickly?"

Meng didn't believe it was possible, but this topic brought up something she cared about more, "Does Fushan treat you as a guest or a stranger to others?"

She feared that Cao Xun might have married his daughter out of loyalty.

After Meng shi finished inquiring, she noticed her daughter's defiant posture and heard her proudly proclaim, "Indeed, he sticks to me like glue. Sometimes I feel burdened by him and wish he would sleep in the front yard by himself."

Meng shi smiled with contentment. It seemed that even heroes could be enamored by this charming beauty. Recalling her own early marriage, she longed to be by her handsome husband's side every day. At times, she disposed of the constraint, dignity, and sense of propriety of a scholarly family. In the early dawn moments, she would willingly cling to her husband, beseeching him to ponder over it even if he did not wish to.

"Newlyweds often behave this way, so do not drive Fushan away completely."

After conversing with her mother, Yunzhu went to the school to observe her younger brother studying. Fourteen-year-old Li Xian had two sessions of civil and military classes in the morning and afternoon, and was even busier than the household accountant looking after the finances.

Yunzhu did not enter the classroom but remained outside, watching her brother and his teacher converse fluently.

No matter how much she adored her younger brother, Yunzhu couldn't help but think about the 'blind'Crown Prince in the palace. Coupled with her animosity towards Pan shi, Yunzhu's discontent with the Crown Prince grew even stronger. Unfortunately, the Crown Prince was still the Crown Prince. Perhaps not even Cao Xun, the direct uncle, dared to openly reprimand the Crown Prince. Yunzhu would not act rashly, so she vented her frustration silently.