C82. When Patience Thins with Age.

Chapter 82

Emperor Qianxing met his end within a year of assuming the throne. Although Empress Dowager Cao was undoubtedly engulfed in sorrow, one month following the period of national mourning, the officials and people of the capital gradually resumed their everyday activities.

Amidst the warm spring and blossoming flowers, Yunzhu journeyed back to her parents' residence.

Li Yao retained his post as the vanguard commander of Jinwu and set out early in the mornings. Only Meng shi, the mother-in-law, and Gu Min, the daughter-in-law, remained at the mansion.

Despite the anticipation of brighter days for the Ningguo Duke's mansion with Li Xian's newfound favor with the new emperor, caution was paramount. Regardless of the greetings or invitations extended, Meng-s found reasons to politely decline them all. After all, the new emperor had not yet entered the capital, Emperor Qianxing remained unburied, and Empress Dowager Cao was still in discomfort.

In private, tears rarely escaped from Meng-s' eyes in front of her daughter. "Your brother, Xian, is returning. He has never been away from home for so long."

When her son first departed Beijing, she had to be resolute before her daughter and daughter-in-law. With his return, Meng-s was burdened with fewer worries and could reveal her true feelings.

Yunzhu teased her mother, "Mom, you're just missing my brother. Daddy is off to welcome the new emperor. The journey will take around four months. I haven't heard you mention a word about him for so long."

Meng-s' gaze swept across her daughter and daughter-in-law. "We've been a couple for over 20 years. We don't cling to each other like you young couples do."

Gu Min lowered her gaze bashfully.

Yunzhu couldn't fathom why her brother and sister-in-law were so devoted. During the initial month of their wedding, she and Cao Xun had been just as fervent. After enduring numerous trials, Yunzhu was uncertain of what the future held for them.

She was never one for affectation, nor did she wish to feign tenderness and flattery toward Cao Xun simply because she felt he had aided their family through a dire predicament. Even if Cao Xun were oblivious, Yunzhu couldn't bring herself to pretend and deceive him. She considered pretense a disrobing of her integrity.

In Yunzhu's view, the simplest and most hassle-free solution was divorce. She wouldn't be subjected to his scrutiny, and Cao Xun could find a wife who was truly devoted to him. Nonetheless, Cao Xun was unwilling and insisted on striving for two more years. Grateful to him for eliminating the little emperor, Yunzhu was willing to comply. Nonetheless, she sensed that Cao Xun would likely be disillusioned in two years. Her feelings for him had been tepid during their first year of marriage. Presently, she was in awe of his capabilities, yet also harbored a twinge of apprehension—a profound enigma.

*

After Yunzhu's return from her parents' home, Sun Yurong paid a visit to Dingguo's mansion the following day.

It had been a year since the two had last seen each other. In the months following the new year, Yunzhu had been preoccupied with various concerns and had been unable to partake in any social engagements.

Now, with no lingering worries at home, Yunzhu felt a newfound sense of tranquility. As if the storm had passed and the sky had cleared, she greeted Sun Yurong with a relaxed and spirited demeanor.

At the front of the grand hall, Yunzhu spotted Sun Yurong.

Oddly, for someone of Sun Yurong's unconventional temperament, she approached Yunzhu with the poise of a refined lady and greeted her with a bright smile.