C99. "Who Makes You Older?"

Chapter 99

In the seventh year of Xining, during the late spring month of March, the weather was perfect for the blossoming of spring flowers. On the twentieth day of the month, Cao Xun decided to take a brief respite and arranged for a family outing outside the city, where the four of them traveled in a carriage.

Cao Yu, a seven-year-old boy, settled himself on the right side seat of the carriage as soon as they set off. The young heir possessed a pair of phoenix eyes that bore a striking resemblance to his father's.

He had inherited about 70% to 80% of Cao Xun's genteel manner and charisma. Even without speaking, his amiable disposition was evident in the faint smile that seemed etched on his face. Elders praised him for his knowledge and understanding of etiquette.

Cao Bing, his three-year-old younger brother, was the complete opposite. His playful and exuberant nature made it impossible for him to sit still in one place. Despite initially sitting next to his brother when the carriage began its journey, he soon found himself in his mother's arms, captivated by the outside world as he gazed through the window.

Yunzhu had to step in to support the boy to prevent him from toppling over, a task that required her full attention. With an affectionate smile, she coaxed him, "There's nothing fascinating to see outside at the moment, Bing'er. Come back and sit for a while. You can look outside again later, alright?"

Yunzhu's voice carried a natural warmth, enhanced by her maternal instincts, which never failed to capture Cao Xun's attention. Despite already having two children together, he still found her captivating. The sight of her tenderly interacting with their children was a source of endless admiration for him.

Unfortunately, this gentle approach that usually won over others had little effect on three-year-old Cao Bing. The little guy was entirely engrossed in the outside world and, without even a glance at his mother, firmly declared, "No, I want to look outside."

Yunzhu hummed gently, "Then go and enjoy the view with your father, dear. Mommy needs to rest."

Cao Bing glanced at his father and, upon meeting his stern but affectionate eyes, immediately decided to cling to his mother instead, proclaiming, "No, I just want to be with Mommy."

Yunzhu, though aware that he was simply wary of Cao Xun, was nonetheless delighted by his sweet words, tenderly supporting him for a little while longer.

Suddenly, Cao Xun reached out and took over, swapping places with Yunzhu.

It wasn't until the carriage had left the city that Cao Bing even noticed his father sitting beside him. Then, he gave up and threw himself back into his mother's arms.

The destination for their outing was a serene valley with spacious grasslands, perfect for flying kites, and a babbling brook.

As the servants carefully laid the carpet before the break of dawn, Yunzhu and Cao Xun decided to take their children out to fly kites.

Cao Yu, being the older of the two, effortlessly maneuvered his eagle kite, sending it soaring into the sky.

Meanwhile, Cao Bing stubbornly refused any assistance as he played with his red carp kite. However, his efforts proved futile as the kite struggled to stay aloft. Frustrated, he angrily abandoned the kite and sought his brother's help.

Displaying his good-natured demeanor, Cao Yu willingly passed on his eagle kite to his younger sibling.

Despite this, Cao Bing soon dropped the kite once more, prompting him to seek his brother's aid again.

Cao Yu, always ready to indulge his younger brother, readily obliged.

Observing the scene, Cao Xun's brow furrowed several times.