C66. I Didn't Ask Him To Please Me.

Chapter 66

In the gauzy canopy bed, the newlywed couple embraces each other, their love seeming even more sincere and touching in this moment.

Yunzhu couldn't forget the sharpness in Cao Xun's eyes as he warned her not to seduce the little emperor, using euphemistic language to convey his message.

The more he pretends to be gentle in everyday life, the more striking he becomes when he wears that expression.

Yunzhu gently touches his strong arm and sighs softly, "Then I want to ask you - what can I do to make you truly believe that I haven't vented my anger on you?"

Cao Xun remains silent.

Yunzhu pats his arm and speaks softly, "I felt it was inappropriate before, so I tried to be more dignified. You may not be used to it now, but you will get used to it."

It becomes clear to Cao Xun that Yunzhu is truly angry with him.

The next day, Cao Xun is busy with work, and Sun Yurong arrives at the Dingguo Palace early in the morning.

The excitement in Sun Yurong's eyes suggests that something new has occurred in the capital. Could it be that news of the incident with Du has spread?

Sun Yurong urges Yunzhu to share what happened at the Hu Mansion feast the day before.

Yunzhu shaking her head helplessly, asks Lian Qiao to recount the events.

Lian Qiao first scolds Du and then describes her embarrassment.

Sun Yurong looks surprised, "So there is such a thing. If you left the party early, did you not see the trouble at the Hu family's wedding banquet?"

This news stuns Yunzhu.

Sun Yurong gleefully shares everything she knows, "If what Liu shi said is true, Hu Shangshu may lose his position, and the number one scholar will fall from his recent prestige."

Yunzhu is shocked by the lawsuit and then thinks of Cao Xun. He must have witnessed the scene, so why didn't he inform her?

The timing of Liu's visit to Beijing to redress his grievances was so coincidental that it is difficult to deny the possibility that someone was behind the incident to exacerbate the situation.

Hu Bochang had served as the Minister of the Ministry of War for many years. As typical in political circles, there were both his allies and adversaries. Cao Xun was not the sole person capable of dealing with him.

Perhaps not long ago, Cao Xun had suggested to Yunzhu that once he had firmly established his position in the capital, he could prevent the young emperor from restricting her father and brothers. Yunzhu had a suspicion that Cao Xun might have had some influence on the events at the Hu family's that day.

He didn't mention it to her outright, as he was composed and not inclined to boast like young men Cao Shao and Xie Lang. Regardless, she would soon learn from others, and he would attain the goal of impressing his wife intentionally.

Though, could the esteemed Minister of War be so easily dealt with by Cao Xun?

This case naturally alarmed Empress Dowager Cao and Emperor Qianxing.

Emperor Qianxing was somewhat reluctant to address Hu Bochang's situation because, within the veteran officials, Hu Bochang was the most skilled at flattering him.

However, three of the five pavilion elders, including Gu Shoufu, believed that the case required thorough investigation.

Emperor Qianxing, feeling uneasy, called upon his two uncles to discuss the matter.