C57. Beyond the Bin: Choosing the Right Bodyguard.

Chapter 57

The sun peaked at its fiercest zenith, prompting Yunzhu and Cao Xun to seek respite in the cool embrace of the temple's guest room before resuming their journey home.

Homeward bound, a long soak in the bath beckoned Yunzhu as the first reward for her weary spirit.

Shiliu, a cool compress in hand, traced its soothing path along the master's alabaster shoulder. Seizing the moment, she murmured, "Madam Zhongqinbo and the Heir's wife graced us with their presence this morning."

------
[  ] 忠勤伯夫人 (Zhōngqín Bófūrén) is a title used in ancient Chinese culture to refer to the wife of a high-ranking official, specifically a Zhongqin Bo (忠勤伯).

[  ] 伯 (Bó): This is a rank of nobility, specifically the lowest among the five ranks of nobility during the Ming and Qing dynasties. It can be translated as "count" or "viscount."
------

Yunzhu reclined comfortably against the bathtub, showing little concern as she remarked, "Since my marriage, they have rarely bothered to visit us a few times a month."

The Uncle Zhongqin's Mansion was Pan's ancestral home. With Pan's parents deceased, the current head of the family was Pan's brother.

The ancestors of the Pan family had once held influence, but their prominence had long faded. If not for the late emperor's favor toward Empress Dowager Cao, Pan's brother would have been the last in the line of the Uncle Zhongqin title, and there would have been no heir to continue the family legacy.

The two female relatives visiting today were Pan's sister-in-law and niece-in-law. They were fond of flattering and appeasing Pan Shi. Yunzhu wouldn't be surprised if they visited every day.

Nevertheless, the situation in the capital was unique, and Yunzhu made an effort to comprehend the Pan family's motives.

That night, she lay upon Cao Xun's form and inquired, "What positions do Uncle Zhongqin and his son currently hold?"

Cao Xun, well-versed in bureaucracy, responded, "Uncle Zhongqin has been appointed as the commander of the Dongcheng Army and Horse Department, holding the rank of sixth official. His heir serves as the deputy commander under him, ranking seventh."

Yunzhu understood that the Department of Five City Soldiers and Horses sounded grand, but in reality, their duties involved patrolling the city streets, apprehending thieves and fugitives, and managing various civic issues. While officials could exploit commoners and businessmen for profit, they were still subordinate to other capital officials.

Considering that Uncle Zhongqin was almost fifty and held a sixth-grade military position, it revealed his remarkable capabilities.

Yunzhu queried, "Now that the emperor has ascended the throne, will they surely rise through the ranks?"

Cao Xun gazed at her with a smile, asking, "Is this a casual inquiry, or do you wish for them not to advance?"

The former would be a lighthearted conversation between spouses, while the latter would indicate her desire to thwart the Pan family's progress.

Yunzhu had spoken casually, but she didn't anticipate Cao Xun's quick assumption. Angrily, she retorted, "I have no enmity with Uncle Zhongqin's family. Whether they rise in status or not is of no concern to me. What is your opinion of them?"

Cao Xun replied, "You and Pan Shi do not get along. It's not surprising that I would make such an assumption."

Yunzhu asserted, "She is one person, and the Pan family is another matter. Furthermore, if I truly wanted to oppose her, I would also undermine the person she cares for most."