C11. Just Waiting For The Old Man To Take The Bait.

Chapter 11

Yunzhu indeed desires to be with Cao Xun, but she views it as a straightforward aspiration and does not wish to craft elaborate schemes for it.

Based on her interactions with noble men like Cao Shao, she has observed that expressing even a hint of interest in a man is akin to casting an unbaited fishhook near him, prompting him to swim eagerly toward her. These men take the bait and strive to win her affections.

Reflecting on her experiences with Cao Shao, Pan's shrewd tactics initially vexed Yunzhu. For the sake of her family's honor, she disregarded the prospect of marriage. Although she cherished feelings for Cao Shao, she had resolved that marrying him was an impossibility. Consequently, Yunzhu believes that with the right manipulations, she could compel Cao Shao to resort to methods such as shedding tears, causing chaos, and threatening to endanger himself, thus compelling Pan Shi to consent to their union.

At the tender age of thirteen or fourteen, Yunzhu had already discerned the allure she held. Empress Cao, despite her own stunning beauty and youth, could not help but marvel at her upon seeing her.

It is an undeniable fact that Cao Xun will wed a woman. As a formidable Duke, Cao Xun does not need to ponder what he stands to gain from the union. What carries greater significance is the woman herself. Men are inherently drawn to physical appeal. Upon laying eyes on her, Cao Xun should recognize that within the capital, he could not find a more exquisite and eligible lady to marry.

In essence, Yunzhu is confident that her subtle flirtations throughout the day are sufficient for Cao Xun to take notice of her. There is no necessity for her to engage in anything beneath her dignity as the legitimate daughter of Duke Ningguo. Why should she feign a stumble and throw herself into his embrace? What common ploy is there in finding a pond and intentionally plunging into it, awaiting Cao Xun's rescue?

For a woman of her beauty and esteemed status as the legitimate daughter of Duke Ning, suitors should be vying for the opportunity to win her hand in marriage.

Seated at the table, Yunzhu simply smiled at the two male guests.

Cao Xun can discern this demeanor well. He has encountered it in numerous haughty young women—individuals who have comfortably navigated life and consider themselves unmatched in their abilities.

Xie Lang is well-acquainted with Yunzhu in this manner, as they have known each other since childhood as part of the Xungui family. When they were both about four or five years old, Yunzhu enjoyed playing house just like other girls her age. When boys were present, she would confidently assign roles to them, such as Li Yao, Cao Shao, or Sun Guangfu, and expect them to act as her servants, embodying the authority of little fairies.

Sunlight floods through the silk curtains, creating a delicate interplay of light in the room. Ethereal patterns form as the polished mahogany Six Immortals table catches the light, casting intricate shadows across the plush carpets. Soft murmurs drift from the worn leather armchairs, strategically positioned to capture the best of the natural light.

Yunzhu and her younger brother, Li Xian, were seated on the west side. Li Yao used to sit on the east side, but he had guests joining him on this occasion. He graciously gave up his place in the east and moved to the south.

Cao Xun naturally took a seat next to him, facing Yunzhu. Xie Lang was seated a little farther away, but still diagonally opposite. He smiled and spoke. "Sister Yunzhu, it's been a while."

Yunzhu's eyes quickly swept over Xie Lang's face, and she responded with a smile. "Haven't we just met at the polo field not long ago? Brother Xie, you were so gallant. I'm certain many ladies have adorned you with ribbons, right?"