C41. Li Yao's Love Story.

Chapter 41

After departing from the Peacock Garden, Yunzhu led Cao Xun to explore other locations. While observing grizzly bears from a vantage point, the Crown Prince’s voice suddenly sounded from behind them: "Uncle!"

Yunzhu’s countenance subtly shifted as she looked over at Cao Xun.

Cao Xun had already turned around, bearing a surprised yet genial smile: "Your Highness."

He was about to bow to the Crown Prince, but the latter stopped him from a distance, saying, "Uncle, no need for formalities. There's no one else present. You need not offer such respect to anyone else here."

Yunzhu also turned around, seemingly oblivious to the Crown Prince's harassment of his younger brother, and greeted the Crown Prince with a smile.

Zhang Hu and the other accompanying eunuchs kept their distance and stood still.

Approaching Cao Xun, the Crown Prince peered down at the animals and unexpectedly inquired, "Does uncle also appreciate these creatures in the garden?"

Cao Xun explained, "I decided to take a break today and take a leisurely stroll with your aunt."

The Crown Prince glanced at Yunzhu, and his heart stirred slightly as he unhappily lamented, "Aunt, I just encountered Li Xian. I intended to have him join my retinue again, but he is still harboring resentment towards me."

Naturally, Yunzhu was eager to inquire about what had occurred.

The Crown Prince then repeated Li Xian's rather resentful remarks.

Yunzhu appeared displeased, "This simpleton, what an honor it would be to return to His Highness’s side as a companion. Instead, he is fixated on the mistakes of the past. His Highness evidently does not hold them against him anymore. He truly is obtuse. Your Highness, please don't be upset, I will certainly speak with him about this later."

Witnessing his aunt graciously accepting his generosity, the Crown Prince magnanimously declared, "Forget it, if he doesn't wish to return, I won't compel him, so you need not worry about it."

Yunzhu hesitated to press the issue, appearing inclined to advocate for her brother once more.

At that moment, Cao Xun looked at Zhang Hu and the others and inquired of the Crown Prince, "How are they?"

The Crown Prince gazed at the four individuals and spoke with a smile, "Impressive. They are able to keep up with my advancements in civil and military studies."

Cao Xun nodded and quietly said to the Crown Prince, "The Marquis of Huai'an and I are close friends. I will safeguard this child now. If it is convenient for Your Highness, please extend your care towards him."

The Crown Prince was delighted that his uncle had actually asked for something from him and readily agreed.

As for Zhang Hu, he may not be particularly astute, but he is not as distant as Li Xian. For the sake of his uncle, it wouldn't hurt to become closer to him.

The Crown Prince followed Yunzhu and the others to visit three zoos before parting ways.

Yunzhu did not wish to encounter the Crown Prince again, so she took Cao Xun and walked outside the garden.

Alone together, Yunzhu cautiously broached the subject, "I was unfair to my younger brother before. You didn't find my lack of dignity contemptible, did you?"

Cao Xun smiled and replied, "It's only human nature, just don't let others catch wind of it."

As Yunzhu spoke, she paused and looked up at him. In the broken sunlight filtering through the foliage, Cao Xun's noble gaze bore a tender and tolerant expression, just as it did now.