C17. Joy and Sorrow; Two Sides of the Coin.

Chapter 17

Apart from Yunzhu's family and Cao Shao, who had recently been informed by his brother, no one in the capital truly anticipated that Cao Xun would wed Yunzhu.

It is rumored that the Emperor sanctioned the marriage to deceive the public. Officials were aware that Cao Xun and Duke Ningguo must have deliberated on it beforehand, and that Emperor Yuan Qing would act as the matchmaker.

At twilight, Cao Xun was still occupied in the Governor's Mansion, while his two friends Gu Qinghe and Zhang Xingjian were already waiting for him.

The former is the eldest son of Gu Shoufu, and the latter is the Marquis of Huai'an, both in their early thirties.

Gu Qinghe's features are not particularly striking, but he is well-versed in poetry and possesses a gentle temperament. At first glance, he appears to be a handsome gentleman.

Zhang Xingjian had been by Cao Xun's side for a longer period of time. He had entered the battlefield when he was seventeen or eighteen and achieved numerous military feats. Unfortunately, he sustained serious injuries during a charge, causing damage to his vitality and necessitating his return to Beijing for recuperation.

On this special day, Cao Xun concluded his official duties early and joined his two friends.

He was adorned in the vermilion official uniform of a first-class military attache, featuring a majestic lion embroidered on the patch.

Tall and imposing, Cao Xun exuded a majestic and solemn, yet somewhat elegant air in this attire.

Gu Qinghe gazed at him with a smile and remarked, "I can already envision your elegance in the wedding attire."

Zhang Xingjian lightly smiled, "I'm afraid the Military Governor didn't even bother to invite you and me. He didn't inform us in advance about such a momentous occasion."

Gu Qinghe adopted a serious expression and shook his head at Cao Xun, "You have indeed shown disloyalty in this matter."

Cao Xun smiled and replied, "Your children are already talking about marriage. Do I need to go out of my way to boast to you about my own wedding?"

Gu Qinghe remarked, "Children will always be children, and in their presence, we remain elders. It's just the three of us now, so we can still consider ourselves young men. Of course, something as significant as marriage requires your explanation."

Cao Xun did not contest with him, saying, "Let's proceed. I will be the host tonight, as a gesture of apology."

Zhang Xingjian added, "This is a joyous occasion. There's no harm in discussing it. You ought to treat us to a wedding feast."

As he finished speaking, his pale face suddenly flushed red. Suffering quietly, he tilted his head and coughed twice.

Cao Xun and Gu Qinghe exchanged a glance, then feigned indifference before Zhang Xingjian turned away.

Zhang Xingjian's heart had been wounded, and his vitality was so impaired that it was beyond repair. He could only rely on precious medicinal materials for support. However, the imperial physician had long predicted that Zhang Xingjian would not live past forty.

The three of them made their way to Zuixianju.

Cao Xun ordered only tea, while Zhang Xingjian requested the waiter to serve a bowl of immortal wine, saying, "You drink, I will take the opportunity to savor the aroma."

Cao Xun reminisced about the time when they had joined forces to retake Liaozhou, their spirits high as they raised their glasses at the celebratory banquet, causing a faint shadow to darken his eyes.