C52. From Heir to Emperor: Qianxing's Rise.

Chapter 52

The residences of esteemed families are primarily situated outside the imperial city, allowing the toll of the death bells to resound more distinctly through the air.

At the first toll of the bell, Cao Xun roused from his profound slumber. He promptly arose from his bed, donned his official attire, and hastened to change into his clothes.

Yunzhu, awakened by the solemn peal, simultaneously comprehended its significance and was struck by an otherworldly sensation, as if she were in a surreal dream.

As the seventh chime resonated, followed by the sixth, Yunzhu was overcome with tears.

Emperor Yuan Qing?

He was only a year older than his father, why had he suddenly departed?

Cao Xun, who had already anticipated this turn of events, was attuned to the tolls, knowing that the seventh would be succeeded by the ninth, evidence enough that the emperor had passed away.

Cao Xun returned to the bedside, gently grasped the young lady's shoulders, and spoke, "I will make my way to the palace first, and you and the elder madam can follow later."

The Cao family, being relatives, should wait outside the imperial city tonight, regardless of whether they are summoned by the palace.

Yunzhu had overcome her initial sorrow. Emperor Yuan Qing was her esteemed elder, but he was no ordinary elder. The imperial city was destined for unrest tonight, and there were still concerns to be addressed.

"I understand. Please hurry," Yunzhu replied, bewildered.

Cao Xun gave her head a final pat and strode off.

Cao Shao was also swift in his movements. He reached the city gate almost simultaneously with Cao Xun. The two brothers exchanged glances but had no time for words. They mounted their horses and galloped toward the imperial city under the cover of night.

Meanwhile, officials from all directions in the city hurried toward the imperial city, and civil servants mounted their horses without delay.

Cao Xun and Li Yong arrived at the imperial city gates at nearly the same time.

As Li Yong dismounted, his foot slipped and he fell to the ground. He remained on his knees before the closed gates, crying bitterly.

The other ministers joined in the weeping, but Cao Xun knew that Li Yong's tears were unique. He was mourning for a brother with a different surname who had been by his side for more than thirty years.

Cao Xun led Cao Shao to kneel behind several cabinet ministers, with Mr. Gu at the head.

Meanwhile, at the Qianqing Palace.

Empress Cao lay on Emperor Yuan Qing's body, weeping until her heart felt as though it would shatter. The crown prince, the second prince, and Princess Yi'an knelt beside them, all in deep anguish. The crown prince and Princess Yi'an cried like children, while the second prince bowed his head in silent sorrow.

As Eunuch Wan knelt outside, a young eunuch approached and whispered something to him. Upon hearing it, Eunuch Wan went to the dragon bed, choked with sobs, and said to Empress Cao, "Your Majesty, all the cabinet ministers, the two uncles, all the dukes and marquises, as well as the civil and military officials, are standing outside the palace, weeping and kneeling. They seek the Empress's guidance on which ministers should be admitted into the palace."

Empress Cao appeared to be oblivious to her surroundings. It was only after Eunuch Wan repeated himself that she managed to gather some clarity amidst her grief. Tearfully, she gazed at Eunuch Wan, the younger Eunuch Wan, and Li Yao and asked, "As the Emperor is nearing his end, is there any possibility of a testamentary decree, or any semblance of it?"