C36. Self-Driven Will; Freedom to Choose.

Chapter 36

Cao Xun skillfully peeled two crabs for the young lady one after the other. Once she had her fill, he left the remaining ones untouched.

Yunzhu asked with curiosity, "Do you really not like crabs, or do you find it bothersome to peel them?"

She remembered how he had accidentally pricked himself while peeling shrimp before, showing that he wasn't a fan of seafood.

Cao Xun accepted the wet towel from the maid and wiped his hands, "Both, actually. But mostly the latter. I don't care for anything that's too much trouble to eat."

Yunzhu smiled and said, "I feel honored that my husband would take care of me like this."

Cao Xun looked at her with amusement, "Haven't I been taking care of you since we got married?"

Yunzhu praised him but also retorted, "You got upset with me for no reason the other day. My father has never been that harsh with me."

Cao Xun chuckled, "But I apologized, didn't I? You can't just remember the bad things."

Yunzhu countered, "I'm not a saint. Just because you apologize doesn't mean I can't hold a grudge."

Cao Xun joked, "If I'd known you'd hold onto it forever, I wouldn't have taken you jewelry shopping yesterday."

Taking his remark in jest, Yunzhu glared at him then looked at the cold food on the table. She suggested, "It's still early. Let's go for a walk."

During the Mid-Autumn Festival, the capital had a curfew for three nights, but now was the perfect time to go out.

Cao Xun agreed, "Let's go."

The garden of Duke Dingguo's mansion was expansive. As they walked, Yunzhu grabbed Cao Xun's arm and said, "Carry me to the garden gate."

Cao Xun ruffled her hair, "Why do you always want to be carried?"

Yunzhu thought to herself how comfortable it was because he was tall, strong, and broad-shouldered. "If you don't like it, never mind."

Cao Xun didn't say anything, instead he squatted down in front of her.

Yunzhu happily got on his back and noticed he didn't seem displeased. She rewarded him with a kiss on the neck, "Alright, if you do well tonight, I'll forgive you."

Cao Xun teased, "Madam is so generous."

Yunzhu playfully punched him and then gazed at the moon rising in the distance.

When they reached the garden gate and Cao Xun showed no sign of stopping, Yunzhu hastily said, "You can put me down now."

Cao Xun insisted, "I don't mind carrying you outside."

Although he didn't mind, Yunzhu did. There were few servants in the garden, but there would be more at the entrance.

As they walked to the gates, a carriage was already waiting there.

Yunzhu looked at Cao Xun in surprise.

Cao Xun smiled, "I had planned to take a walk with you."

Any holiday held little significance to him, but now he was no longer alone and had to consider her needs.

A Jiu was sent to Zuixianju to reserve a private room and order dishes. The two of them got off the carriage early and strolled leisurely through the bustling night streets to Zuixianju.

Yunzhu had always loved excitement. Even after visiting the Mid-Autumn Festival Lantern Festival in Beijing more than a dozen times, every return felt fresh.