Placed In Cuffs

Ala

I walk back to the door to close and lock it.

Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds own this house. I rent from them. They have adopted me and my kids well not officially. They call me their grand daughter and my kids their great grand kids. My parents are looking at both the Reynolds like they are weird. In truth, they are, but so am I. I love the Reynolds though. They remind me so much of Grandpa Alan (Al) and my grandmother who I lost in my teens.

"That's my girl. You know I don't like to see you crying or frowning. Patrick take this and wet it. Our grand daughter's eyes are getting puffy." Mrs. Reynolds says handing her husband a handkerchief she pulled from her purse. Mr. Patrick takes it and does as she says. He wrings out the access water and brings it to me. I take it and wipe the tears from my face. I know better than to hand it back to her. She will only start fussing and say child keep it you need it more than me. Alissa just wash it and return it when you're able to.

Ms. Abby Reynolds pulls me into a hug, and as always I am squashed against her huge bosom."So, tell me who has you all upset like this?" She asks and I shake my head.

"No, one Ms. Abby I am okay." I lie.

"Now Alissa why are you lying to me? I know you. You do not just cry for no reason. You are one tough woman." Mrs. Reynolds says smiling down at me since she is taller than I am.

I have no words for that statement. She is speaking the truth. If I am crying it is for a reason.

She leans close to my ear, looks at Brileon, and tries to whisper, "Is it that scoundrel over there who your children resemble? He is the one isn't he who got you pregnant and left you for that rich woman with loose morals?" She says much too loud to be whispering.

Brileon starts coughing and choking.

Mr. Reynolds and I look at each other and start laughing. Everyone else in the room join in.

Mrs. Reynolds lets me go and puts her hands on her hips.

"What are you all laughing at?" she asks. Then she asks, "Was I not whispering?"

"No, Ms. Abby you were not." I say still chuckling after everyone else has stopped. She swats my butt and I yelp.

"Ouch!" I tell her. Her slaps to my rear hurt.

"That will teach you to laugh at your elders young lady." Mrs. Reynolds says.

After several minutes of me not answering her she says, "Oh well! I already know the answer to my question since you did not respond."

Mrs. Reynolds glares at Brileon and he shrinks back at her stare. Once, he realizes what he is doing he stops, glares back at Mrs. Reynolds, and stands tall.

"Come here boy!" Mrs. Reynolds orders and Brileon does as she says.

"Children go upstairs and get you're presents. Justin, Tiffany, and Alton you can follow. Ramsey if you want to go you can as well." I say not wanting them to hear what we are about to discuss.

"Okay." All the kids say and run up the stairs.

Ramsey stays downstairs which I figured he would do. He is 18. Old enough to hear what we are about to discuss.

Brileon walks over to where we are standing and his eyes meet mine.

"Ala, I am truly sorry. You are not stupid and you are not a bitch. I have a way of saying the wrong damn thing and hurting people I truly care for. Please forgive me." He says.

"You called my grand daughter a bitch and stupid! You sir have lost your mind! This girl is pure in heart and a virtuous woman unlike the one you are engaged to marry." Mrs. Reynolds says and grabs Brileon by the shirt collar. She lifts him off the floor and brings his face to hers and my mouth drops open.