Chapter 17- Christmas Eve

I woke up to a classic picture perfect day in Sydney. That was until I heard a very loud knock at the door. "Who could that me so early in the morning", I said softly to myself.

I pulled myself out from my bed and up to the door. Still in my pajamas I peaked through the viewing hole in the door to see two constables standing outside my door.

I opened the door rather embarrassed but who could blame me after all it was only 6 am still. "Arh how can I help you officers?", I asked hoping they wouldn't notice my pajamas.

"Sorry to wake you so early madam but we were wondering if you heard anything next door last night?", one of the young constables asked

"Sorry officers I only heard Maxi come in around 8pm last night and then I heard nothing else for the rest of the night", I exclaimed to the two officers.

"Our apologies again mam, but if you do remember anything else please give us a call", the one on the left said whilst handing me a card.

"Thank you for your time once again", said the other constable as they turned around and walked back down the set of stairs.

I shut the door and turned around and lent against it. "I wonder what that was all about", I said to myself out of curiosity.

Running back to my room I quickly got ready for work as I was so despritly eager to find out why the police would want to know if I had heard anything next door last night.

I knew Maxi would have answers. As I was leaving my unit I decided to see if Maxi was still in. "Bang, Bang, Bang", I knocked on his door.

Waiting out side for 5 minutes I decided he either had to be asleep still or already at work. Either way I was going to find out what was going on.

Finally reaching the pavilion after my short walk around the corner that had turned out to be a sprint I swung my backpack into my locker and ran across the crossing and straight into the tower.

"Is Maxi here", I yelled panting like a dog. "I can't say I've seen him yet, no", Yatsey replied. "Why, are you looking for him?", Deano asked.

"Yeah we'll I was just wondering why the police came knocking at my door at 6am this morning inquiring out his apartment", I replied.

"Hahaha Maxi boy in trouble", the boys rambled on. I heard the door open from behind me and I swung around to see who it was, but it happened to only be dunno.

"You haven't seen Maxi have you", I asked "Um yeah I think I just saw him head into the pavilion", dunno replied as I sprinted out of the door.

"Thanks", I yelled back as I entered the pavilion. I headed straight into the locker room where sure enough I found Maxi.

"What happened last night Maxi", I asked wanting to know the details. "Oh, got broken into and a couple of things stolen", Maxi replied not looking to happy.

"Dude are you serious!, are you ok we're you there when it happened?", I asked. "Arh yeah and I'm fine", Maxi replied sounding like he wanted to be left alone.

"Oh ok", I said before leaving to go back to work. Knowing there was something maxi wasn't telling me I had to find out more information.

I made my way across the road and into the tower. Taking a seat at the front desk I picked up a pear of binoculars and started my shift.

Tonight I would be flying back to Brisbane for Christmas tomorrow but I need to find out the information. Coming up to my lunch break I still couldn't get if off my mind.

I checked the roster to see where Maxi would be but according to the roster he wasn't rostered on today. What was going on?

I checked with each of the patrols to see if Maxi was with them but they all hadn't seen him. "Boss can I have an extra 10 minutes?", I asked Hoppo so determined to find out what was going on.

"Um ok, but hurry up", he replied unsure. "I'll make it up at end of shift, don't worry boss", I yelled from outside the door.

I made a mad dash for the surf lifesavers club. Maybe if I went back to the scene I could find out the answers. As I turned into the car park I came to a stop.

The we're many people going up the stairs to Maxi's and Corey's unit. "What is going on?", I asked myself. I quickly made my way inside trying not to be seen.

But as I cam to the stairs leading up to our rooms maxi caught me. "Shouldn't you be at work", he asked a loud voice as if he was trying to let other people know I was here.

Whilst during our conversation I heard Maxi's door shut and suddenly there was no one in sight. It was as if there was something I wasn't to see in Maxi's room.

"I'll be getting back to work now", I said. "I'll give you a lifted back", Maxi said rather loudly again and also rather insistantly. We made our way back down stairs and I had to get back quick.

Maxi dropped me off at the tower and I quickly got to my next post. The beach was becoming pack as usual and would be even more so tomorrow and new years day.

But sadly I wouldn't be here tomorrow for the excitement and to keep my eye on Maxi. "Taylor you've got one", I heard come from beside me.

I quickly snapped back and dipped my blue short off and headed into the water with my rescue board. The victim was out the back behind the waves.

With all my effort I dug back into the water and propelled myself and the board though the rip to get me out the back quicker, a little technique I had picked up from some of the boys.

As I got out the back I could see a young man with blond hair waving his arm in the Air. He didn't appear to be in a lot of trouble but seemed to be just exhausted.

As I got closer to him I saw a familiar smile. "Grab my hand", I called out to him as I shortly after pulled him up onto my board.

Young, fit, blond hair and tall I finally figured out that this so called victim was Ollie. "Nice to see you again Tay", Ollie said as I paddled us back into shore.

"what are you doing here Ollie", I asked. "I followed you down yesterday got on a flight straight after you, I had to get away from my father for a couple of days", he exclaimed.

After explaining to Ollie about me having to go back home tomorrow he explained he was doing the same and was just staying with some friends.

"Well I have to get back to work, See you soon Ollie", I exclaimed as I headed back to my post With the rescue board in one hand.

I finished my patrol and headed up to the tower to grab the quad bike and trailer to pack up for the day and also making up the extra 10 minutes from lunch.

Dragging all the boards in and flags I had finished up for the day. I made my way up to an under cover shelter area looking over the water where all the boys were having a few drinks.

I passed out my Christmas presents to the boys as I wouldn't be seeing them and then I had to quickly make my way to the airport.

But not once did Maxi's secret leave me head for the whole plane ride.

AUTHORS NOTE: 

Please continue to read my book I know it may not be the best. Read, vote comment please. 

I hope you are enjoying my book and there is still much more to come.