Chapter 20- End of Year Crowd

After a few busy days on the beach there was just one last day before the biggest one of them all. Tomorrow it would be the start of a new year and that meant a big crowd on Bondi and many rescues to come.

My shift started at lunch time, so that left me with a bit of time up my sleeves. "It was time you got your license", Everyone always told me and today I was gonna go for it.

As I walked past Bondi, the crowd had already gathered and it was only going to get worse. I made my way to the driving school, where myself appeared to be the only one there. Walking into the office, a nice lady sat at the front desk drinking her morning coffee.

"Hi, I'm here for a driving test", I spoke. "Right this way", the lady guided me as she sipped the last of her drink before placing the mug on her desk. I step into the drivers seat of the tiny pale car and put on the seat belt. Nervous as hell, taking a few deep breaths I waited for the lady to make her appearance in the car beside me.

I turned on the ignition and started the engine. This was more scary then starting lifeguarding on Bondi beach. If I failed my brother would have bragging rights for months and I would seem like an idiot for not even being able to drive.

After half an hour we returned to the small parking lot located out the front of the main building. Although I might have gone a little slow in some points i was pretty sure I hadn't messed up. At least not that bad, right?

Turning off the ignition and stepping out of the vehicle. The lady still looking through her glasses, resting on the end of her nose to her clip board. She didn't seem angry nor happy but just continued looking at her clip board with a dismal expression.

"Please wait in the office, I'll be right there", the lady mumbled before walking off in a different direction. I raced up the stairs, waiting to hear my fate. What my brother win this time or would it be even playing fields?

The lady swung open the door and headed towards me. "Well I'm pleased to tell you that you have passed and will be receiving your P plates later today", She mumbled once again.

After filling in the paper work I headed back to Bondi. I was already dressed for work but didn't start for and hour or so, so I decided to head for a surf.

Although I wasn't very good yet, all practice makes perfect. I jumped from the ramp onto the boiling sand beneath. Literally sprinting into the bottom of the tower, I made my way into the tunnel and grabbed out my board from where I had left it yesterday.

Luckily I had also left a pair of thongs (flip flops/ shoes) there otherwise my feet would have been scorched by the time i made it to the water. Not even considering twice I slid them on as quick as possible, threw off my lifeguard shirt, put on my sun shirt and quickly made my way to the ocean.

As I got into the surf area it was pretty full already, so I decided to wait 20 minutes but still leaving some time before getting back to work. Hopefully many would leave as the peak hour was almost over.

"Hey guys", I called out to Mouse and Quinn, patrolling on the rhino near by. "Hey Taylor", they replied just before Quinn grabbed his board and sprinted in.

"Busy day", I said. "Yeah, bit of a crowd today,to be expected though", mouse replied. "I'll let you get back to it then, see you after", I answered and decided to head out.

Finally getting past the people crowed at the edge, I made my way into the water. "Perfect a clear spot", I said to myself. Although I was only catching small waves I loved surfing now. I hadn't felt anything more free and thrilling in my life.

I could see a small wave coming and decided to paddled for it, I couldn't see anyone else going for it. I paddled and paddled but as soon as I got up I got dumbed.

I swirled around under the water, when next thing I saw blood from leg. "You got to be kidding me", I thought to myself.

Finally surfaced and grabbed my board. I heading in, out of the water and sat on the sand. It wasn't too bad only about 10cm and not very deep.

"she'll be right", I told myself. I made my way to the tower and headed back into the tunnel and placed my board on the racks. There was half an hour till I was on duty.

I grabbed the hose and started to wash out the cut. Maxi came down the stairs and he was early like me cause he didn't start until 12 neither.

"What did you do to yourself?", He giggled. "Got dumbed and someone else hit me, i guess", I answered. "No big deal", I grinned.

"I'll go get a bandage, can u get up the stairs alright?", Maxi asked. "Yeah mate it's all good", I replied.

I made my way up the stairs and took a seat outside, managing to stop most of the bleeding with my sun shirt but it was only shallow anyway.

As I waiting for Maxi to come back Hoppo came out from the tower. "What have you done this time?", He asked "Just got a bit of a gash, no biggy", I smiled.

"Might want to get it look at", Hoppo replied "Maxi's gonna patch it up and then if it gets any worse ill go to the medical centre after work", I answered.

"Okay but if it does you go straight away", Hoppo said before heading back in. Maxi finally returned and patched me up and it was finally time to get on with work at last.

The crowds were getting bigger and it was only going to get worse by the evening as Bondi was going to be playing host to the biggest dance party for New Years eve.

Myself and maxi jumped on rhino 2 and headed to south corner. As Maxi pulled up I jumped on the back and stood up to watch the surf.

"How's the leg", Maxi asked. "It's fine", I replied. I suddenly jumped down and radioed that I was going in. Throwing off my belt and shirt I grabbed my board and sprinted in.

A young tourist was in the Bronte express and was going under fast. I paddled and got smashed by waves but finally made my way to her. I grabbed her by the hair as she went under and dragged on.

I quickly turned around and got into shore. Somehow she appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and had come close to drowning as a result, even though Bondi and it's surroundings were an alcohol free zone.

But did make the situation extremely funny when her and her friend started jumping all over maxi and hugging him.

As they left we got back to what we do best, patrolling the water and beach. As our shift was coming to an end Hoppo came up to us with a young indigenous boy who had managed to loss his belongings.

"I saw you before mate, your should of said something", Maxi said to the boy. "Well try and call mum", Hoppo said. Grabbing out his phone Hoppo asked if the boy knew his mothers phone number.

"it's ......", the distressed boy mumbled. Hoppo places the phone beside his ear but no one answered. "she won't answer cause she's asleep and her phones turned off", the boy said.

"So mums at home", Hoppo asked as the boy nodded his head. We didn't have time to search the crowed beach so we waited for people, to leave and we had a new apprentice.

An hour passed and then myself and Hoppo decided to searched for the boys belonging. As we got three quarters down the beach the boy yelled and sprinted towards his belongings picking them up.

As we walked up to him he said "I'm going back to Maxi", and walks passed us. I turned around to Hoppo and said "We just helped him find his gear and he goes I'm going back to Maxi".

Hoppo laughed and we made our way back to the rhino. Soon after the boy disappeared into the crowd. "He goes I'm going back to Maxi, just after we've help him look for his stuff", Hoppo said to Maxi.

"haha", Maxi giggled. "You know what I think it is, he can communicate on the same level as you", I said to Maxi as we all chucked. "Well yeah, yeah..... Yeah", Maxi replied.

It was finally the end of shift and the last time the flags would be pulled down this year. As the beach had been half blocked off ready for the dance party that would soon begin, we all made our way to the tower to knock off for the last time this year.

Tomorrow would be mayhem and we all knew it.