Chapter 40- Just a Bit of Time

It was still early when I entered the gym. I had been here a few times before with the other lifeguards but I personal preferred to excise outdoors because that's where felt most comfortable. Being contained within 4 walls was not something I enjoyed much and I had enough of that at school. No one seemed to be in the gym. This was quit strange as normally all the boys flock here day and night.

I didn't want to make my already terrible situation worse. There was no way I was about to start sprinting out 100km or lifting 50 kg but I could start with the basic just to rebuild my strength. The physio from yesterday had given me a few stretches and excises to help.

Completing would I could do, I expected a another lifeguard to walk in any minute but no one came. Something has to be up for not one of them to come here. This was like their second home apart from the beach of course.

I exited the building and it was already about 8am . My eyes scanned the beach to see who was on duty but the only two I could see were the boys from this morning. Honestly why would there only be 2 on maybe it's still a bit early and plus they could be in the tower.

Managing to sneak past Hoppo's office without him seeing me worked a charm because even he wasn't in his office. Woah okay where is everyone?

Why did I care anyway it's not like its my business to know where everyone is 24/hours a day. I pulled out my phone from my gym shorts and dialled the last person I spoke to. "Hey it's me, I'm gonna need your help with something", I spoke as I waited for a reply.

"Okay, where do you want me to meet you?", He answered. "Meet me at Bondi, oh and do you reckon they would let you get a board?", I continued. Hopefully I wasn't asking too much of him.

"Of course, I'll see you in 5", the phone cut out. Okay. It's okay I can do this, I thought to myself. 

Yes I had been able to paddle out at dusk when the water was flat, but that was nothing compared to using the rescue boards and having to lift people on and the unstable circumstances.

I really hope this isn't too soon. My ribs haven't hurt for a while and I really feel like they are mending but this was going to be a long process to recovery.

"Taylor, you ready. Lets go get a board then you can tell me what you've got planned.", Jesse said as he walked past me. I had already changed into my boardies and my water sports bra thingy. "I'll be right behind you.", I said not very confidently.  

I mean what if Hoppo's in the tower and that's why he's not in his office, I still Haven't spoken to him yet and he probably still wants me gone.

"Is everything okay, you know your allowed to get a board out. You do work here after all. Are your ribs hurting again?", He stated.

"Yeah, yeah everything's fine. Haha I knew that.", I spoke giving the slightest smile as if I really didn't know that.

JESSE POV

I ran up the stairs to grab the keys to the roller doors when I bumped into Hoppo. "Hey Hoppo", I tried not to make eye contact as I planned my escape before he could question why Taylor was here. "What's she doing here?", He mumbled. Shit. What excuse could I pull or should I tell him the truth. It's not like I had anything against the man but he wants her gone.

Yes for her own good and welfare but she deserves to be here.

"Just going to do some training that all.", I said before exiting the building. Not long after, I returned to where I had left Taylor. "Okay so what's the plan?", I asked not quit sure what she had planned with her state of injury at the moment.

TAYLOR's POV

After a short conversation with Jesse explaining how I wanted to test out my fitness and ability back in the water we got ready to start.

"You ready for this?", Jesse asked as we stepped closer towards the ocean. I dragged the heavy board into the shallows before pulling myself up.

It wasn't that bad after all, maybe I could really do this. "Are you coming or what?", I called out to Jesse. I was fine with the paddling as I had been doing it the last 2 nights but I need to practise being able to lift someone onto the board and get back in safely and not just for my own health and well-being but theirs as well.

Jesse continued to swim out until he was approximately 30 metres off shore. Acting as a dead wight, my board pulled up beside him as I attempted to lift him onto the rescue board for the first time in what felt like ages.

Success. We returned to shore and practised a few more times however the surf was pretty flat and I don't know how I would be in the big swells. Mays aswell take it one day at a time.

"Thanks for helping out today", I spoke as Jesse returned from taking the boards back.

"No problem, we've got a meeting tomorrow night same place as yesterday see you then", Jesse replied as he walked towards the car park. This whole rest and recover was going to take a lot longer than what I had originally thought. But how much time?