Chapter 9- Annual Lifeguard Challenge

After a couple of weeks of training the day of the Annual lifeguard challenge had finally arrived excitement was high and so was the enthusiasm.

Most of the boys all had to work a shift today before competing this afternoon but luckily I had been given the day off to get prepared.

I slept in till 10am which didn't leave me too much time to waste. I thought that I would walk the running leg this morning just to get use to where to go.

Then I might complete a light training session in preparation I thought to myself.

I walked to the tower wearing a hoody over my head, hoping nobody would recognize me. I walked from Bondi to Bronte in a short amount of time.

Then I just walked to Tamarama then back to Bondi.

After I had finished I made my way around to about the rocks for a light training session that only lasted about half and hour or less then headed down for a swim.

After a few hours hanging around Bondi it was finally time for the lifeguard challenge. 

We all headed up to the pavilion to get into our racing uniforms then made our way to outside the tower.

Everyone gathered around ready for the beginning of the race.

We all started in handy caps meaning that everyone starts at different times. I had been given the handy cap of going first and I had Deano coming along with me to guid me.

"ready, set, go", said itchy who was not competing

I kept at a steady speed and Bronte was insight. We finally made it down the beach at Bronte where only a few guys had got infront.

The leg I was probably going to struggle most in was the swim because I hadn't much expire nice in ocean swimming.

I bunch of us ran into the water at the same time and started the leg. Getting past the. Waves were the hardest part. I made it though the first 3 sets by duck diving but a wave in the 4 set smashed me.

I started swimming under the water to get past the waves. As I came back to the surface I had lost sight of Deano. I had no idea where he had gone.

I swam around the point and headed towards Tamarama beach.

I caught a few waves into the beach. A lot of the guys were all ready nfront of me but it wasn't about winning the race to me it was about finishing.

As I reached the sand I emerged and ran for my board.

I grabbed my board and headed back into the surf. I followed a few of the other boys directions hoping that they knew what they were doing.

I got over a wave when I heard the jet ski coming up along side me. Deano had a board and was hanging onto the mat.

He slid him self off the mat and paddled over to me. "I didn't know where you had gone", he said. "sorry I got smashed by a wave and then just kept swimming and didn't realise till I had got there", I said continuing paddling at the same time.

As we came around the point I could see heaps of the boys had finished but I could still see guys behind me.

I paddled as hard as I could on the home straight.with Deano beside me I finally got to the beach and sprinted to the finish line.

It wasn't a top 10 ranking but I had finished the lifeguard challenge race. 

As the last of the boys finally finished the award for the top life guard was presented.

"the annual lifeguard challenge goes to harries", Hoppo announced.

The crowd went wild and everyone cheered. Harries had beaten all the young guns once again.