Chapter 14- Kings Beach

There I stood, standing on the side of the road in a place I had been many times before.

Home sweet home I thought to myself. I grabbed my bag and walked threw the front doors of an apartment block.

I claimed the set of stairs that I had climbed many times before as a kid and when at the top of the stairs I stood in front of my new home for this week.

I opened the door and put my bags just in side. I shut the door behind me And raced over to the side door and pulled the curtains across revealing a verandah.

I had stayed here many times as a kid when we had come on holidays caloundra and it almost felt like home once again.

I stood on the verandah and turned to my right. Crystal blue ocean met my eyes. That would be the new beach I would be working on for the next week, Kings beach.

I finally pulled myself away from the verandah and locked up the apartment and dumped myself in bed.

I knew I would need a good night of sleep before tomorrow, even though I knew it wouldn't be a busy as Bondi.

......

"beep, beep, beep", my alarm rang but I didn't want to get up.

Full of nerves I managed to finally get out of bed and into the dinning area. "oh crap" I thought to myself.

I had forgotten to pack any food. The fridge was empty and the cupboards bare. "I'll have to grab something on the way", I said to myself out loud.

Already late I swung my back pack on and ran out the door locking it behind me and continuing to sprinted the rest of the way.

I made my way around to a corner shop and bought a couple of pieces of fruits and threw them into my bag leaving one out to eat on the way.

I made my way finally to the surf life saver club house. I knocked on the door where I was met by a tall man.

"your late", he said

"Sorry, I had to get breakfast on the way", I replied

"the rest of us all managed to get breakfast this morning, now get in here", he responded

I walked in where everyone else was already getting today's instructions. I man about 18 walked over to me and said "your on patrol with me this morning, let's get moving".

Everyone set of on there instructions and I followed my new work colleges out of the room.

"well where are we off to .. Arh, sorry what did you say your name was", I asked the man that I was suppose to be on patrol with.

"I didn't", he replied

"I'm sorry I don't understand", I replied

"I didn't say what my name was. It's Ollie", he smirked and turned back around.

"and your name", he asked

"Taylor", I replied.

"Well Taylor, to answer your question we are off to patrol the flags area", Ollie exclaimed. 

We made our way down to the flags and took a seat on the patrol towers. "who was that man that let me in this morning, he's a bit of a angry guy", I asked.

"well that's my dad John he's a bit of a grump", Ollie said.

A few people were finally making there way down to the beach. Mostly families and little kids were on the beach and not many tourist.

The worst thing about having to come to Kings beach was that now that I was apart of there crew for this week I had to wear a white lifeguard shirt, no bright blue that was a shame.

We sat on the hot sand for an hour and not one rescue or anyone in danger. It was so different from Bondi normally in an hour we would have had dozens and dozens of people pulled from the water by now.

"Well I'm on my lunch break now and I think your on patrol with bobby down at the surf end", Ollie exclaimed.

"Ok, so do I just go down to tower 2 and see if Bobby's there", I asked.

"Yeah, see you later", he said before heading in the opposite direction.

I made my way down to the surf end which wasn't a long walk. Kings beach was no where near the size of Bondi but was still a nice beach.

As I got to tower 2, two more lifeguards were just leaving. "Nothing to report, there all pretty good with the rules most of them are locals", said one of the lifeguards as he was leaving.

"ok thank you", I said as another lifeguard arrived.

"Hey you must be Taylor from Bondi, I'm Bobby", a lightly older man said.

"Nice to meet you Bobby and that's right straight up from Bondi last night", I replied.

"Well should be a bit more quieter up here compared to Bondi for you, but you know we do have a couple of busy days", Bobby exclaimed.

We took a seat on the small tower 2 and for the next hour of our patrol not even a rescue in sight.