Chapter 45

Du You can feel the man's hand trembling.

You Haoyu is looking fiercely at him, his ears beet-red now, "I, actually..."

Suddenly, a knock on the door; it's the agent.

The agent is quite shocked to see his charge holding his boss' hand.

Though, smart people would know to keep quiet, "Haoyu, director Wang has finished talking to the lead, head over quickly."

You Haoyu fizzles out thanks to the intervention.

He lets Du You's hands go. A pause, then he asks, "when will you be leaving?"

Du You says after a bit of thought, "I have meetings in the afternoon."

So right now.

Though slightly disappointed, You Haoyu quietly moves his gaze away, his hand rubbing his nape, "anyway... I am happy that you came to visit today."

The amber eyes steal a peek at Du You before looking downwards, "I'll be heading off."

Du You sees him off, then nods towards the agent still standing at the door in acknowledgement.

Then, the agent wakes himself up from his self-inflicted stupor.

What did he just see?

Since he was first assigned to him, he's realised how impolite and uncompromising his charge is. He has no idea what 'courtesy' meant.

Yet, such a person just showed him what could only be described as 'coyness'?

Du You asks, seeing the man look fixedly at him, "what."

The agent realises how rude he's being and bows to apologise, then hurriedly leaves the scene.

When Du You and assistant Xiao left, the shooting has already resumed.

The two of them are moving along in the car; the heating makes it much warmer than back in the staff room.

Du You nods off at the backseat.

Then, he starts to hear something.

"Series no. 212."

"There's finally one survivor."

"Not exactly a success though," the male voice sounds pained. The people's forms are becoming more clear now.

The man is wearing a big white coat, conversing with others in the room who are also dressed similarly.

They do not notice that the door isn't shut properly, and a boy who looks about to be the age when he's just learned to walk is peeking inside.

The white coat man is covering his face with his hand, "organs failing one by one every year. Even if we've given them abilities none of them survive past 18; is there even any meaning in doing this anymore?"

"Start another batch," someone is knocking onto the table with a curled finger, "we must work out the reason behind the bodily deterioration; we must succeed soon."

"We don't have much time left."

...

The boy has grown taller now, but nothing has changed; he's still peeking inside from the door.

It's a different location with complicated machinery installed inside. The adults are still wearing their uniform clothes, busily talking, recording and operating the machines.

Someone grabs him.

"What are you doing again? This is not where you should go."

A white coat man has caught him.