Chapter 48

The city is asleep now. Under the cold, resplendent moonlight, a business van is speeding along in the dark.

The van races past the blurred outside the window.

They’re almost at Calmwater Lake now.

There’s a row of fencing around the lake demarcating the limits of the park, which is quite a wooded area as well. Every so often one can manage to view the lake from between the trunks and branches. There’s a reflection of the crescent moon on top of the glimmering waters.

That is when Du You’s phone suddenly rings.

Du You picks it up to hear a panicked voice.

“Mr. Du- Oh my god!”

Perhaps in shock, even the usually calm agent has become rather incoherent himself.

It’s You Haoyu. The people in charge of keeping an eye on him heard glass shattering from inside his apartment unit before he ran outside.

Following behind him was a white shadow. It was too quick to make out.

They only knew that where the two ran would end up looking like it weathered a storm.

In front of his apartment block is several knocked-over large blue trash cans with their contents sprayed all over. The streetlights have been knocked over and shattered and the whole street is dark.

Even the affixed roadside benches were blasted up and away, falling in the dirt behind them.

The agent is still enthusiastically relaying information, “then they ran into the nearby construction site, and we couldn’t see them clearly fro the distance. We’re hurrying there…”

Du You issues orders to his driver while listening, “turn around.”

“Huh?” The driver seems confused. He was looking for a place to park.

“Turn around. Go to Shanren Apartments.”

It’s an apartment complex newly constructed these few years. It’s expensive, but it has the security going for it. Many public figures valuing their privacy would choose to purchase a home here, as a base of operations for their work in the city.

And these public figures would usually be away as well, making this a rather deserted neighbourhood.

Anyway, after the Shanren Apartments have all sold out, the developer is looking to build further units, and have bought a nearby piece of land which is currently under construction.

The construction site is completely quiet, as the workers have all left for the night.

The building is already taking shape. The steel rebar and concrete have already been put in place forming a frame for the building. A dense green net covers the outside, looking eerily like a great monster silently gazing over the intruders in the dead of night.

A shadow has slipped in, hesitating for only a second after realising he has stumbled into the construction site.

He was being closely chased. He had no time to hesitate anymore, and runs towards the half-finished building.