Chapter 3: Whispers in the Halls

It had been over a year since the last time Lloyd had visited. Aria was 8 years old and was focusing on her studies. Her teachers described her as perfect in every way. Her manners, grace, and dancing were above other rich families in Ninjago.

"That was perfect your highness" her dance teacher clapped

(If any of you know what comic this picture is from, i love you)

Aria stood up straight and smiles "Thank you miss Marry"

"Time for your next lesson princess" Hanabusa opens the door.

"See you next time" Aria nods to Marry before walking out

"Your highness" Hanabusa speaks "Are you alright? You seem out of it."

"Lloyd wasn't at my birthday party this year" Aria responds "We always celebrate it together."

"That is true" Hanabusa looks up "I wonder what happened."

"Did you hear the rumor?"

"What rumor?"

Aria and Hanabusa stop and look at the group of maids standing together.

"They say the princess's betrothed ran away from home."

"Oh my."

"How come?"

"His mother finally laid into him that he was going to marry the princess and he refused, so he ran away."

"Hey!" Hanabusa shouts startling the maids

"Hanabusa!"

They noticed Aria standing beside him.

"Your highness!"

The maids quickly bow and don't get up.

"How dare you spout such rumors in these halls!" Hanabusa scolds them

"We're sorry!"

"Let's go" Aria walks past them

"Get back to work all of you!" Hanabusa glares at them "I don't ever want to hear you say such things again!"

The maids all scurry off as Hanabusa follows Aria.

"Don't listen to them your highness, Lloyd is just a boy." Hanabusa says "You're the most beautiful and noble girl in Ninjago, he should be grateful-"

"Hanabusa" Aria interrupts and smiles at him "I'm not worried, let's get going."

"...yes your highness" Hanabusa smiles sadly and follows after her

-

That night Aria and her mother sat at the table eating together

"Mother" Aria looks up at her

"What is it dear?" Layla smiles to her daughter

"What happened to Lloyd? Where is he?" Aria asks

"Lloyd.. was sent to boarding school" Layle replies as she places down her fork.

"What?!" Aria stands up "Without saying goodbye? Without even telling me?"

"Misako had to go away for work suddenly, it was a hard decision for her to make." Layla reaches out and holds Aria's hand.

"But what about our engagement?" Aria asks "Is it off?"

"Of course not" Layla tells her "The two of you are best friends and that won't change, you'll see him again when you're older."

"...but that's in a long time" Aria looks down

"Sweetheart, it may feel long, but time will pass by before you know it." Layla kisses her forehead.

Aria walks back to her room alone, she reaches up and holds her necklace. It was a gift from Lloyd on their 7th birthday, he has the other half of the gold heart.

Aria looks out the window at the birds flying away "Lloyd."