Difficult to Love

A/N: Emma x Reader

Summary: Y/n is apart of the Royal family yet it is a secret to Emma. When she finally comes clean, Emma is introduced to a whole new different life and a set of completely different rules for how she must continue to live her life.

tbh i can't keep up with all the names so it's mostly going to be a made up royal family with royal-ish names.

DUN DUNNNNNN

HERE WE GO!

________________________________________________________________________________

Y/n's POV:

I stand on the balcony, waving to the people below that cheer for my mother. I continue to wave, inhaling sharply as I try to calm myself down. I attempt to look relaxed and okay, not wanting to look nervous and show the amount of anxiety that has been building up inside of me. I glance over and hear someone whisper to me, I turn my head to see Prince Henry chuckle as he leans his head back and stands tall.

I fix my posture, ignoring his remark on the public and continue to stare and wave. I notice a guard begin to direct people backwards and once I am out, I begin to get directed inside, the doors shutting once everyone is inside. Mother didn't go out to the balcony, she hasn't wanted to show herself since she has gotten sick, it's getting progressively worse.

"Hello, dear." Mother, also known as Elizabeth, greets me, I bow and kiss her cheek which she does in return, I lean back, kiss her other cheek and she grins. "Are you eager to rush off already?" She asks, clasping her hands in front of herself as she glances between my eyes, a look of annoyance spreading across her face.

"I apologise, sincerely, Mother. I really must get back to Emma. She's clueless without me, barely knows how to get anywhere in London." I express to her, noticing her shoulders fall as she continues to look at me with a slight annoyance in her facial expression. I attempt to ignore it as best as I can.

"Don't tell me you are still having that dalliance, my dear." She responds, sighing and rolling her eyes to the side. I clench my jaw, feeling immediate anger, my neutral grin immediately fading and my eyes drop to a bitter look.

"It isn't a dalliance, Mother." I defend, Mother stares at me as her eyebrows raise, her head slightly tilts and I immediately feel like a little child again. Her stare flooding many memories of her giving me that stare when I've done something she doesn't like and I have to respond by lowering my head, holding my hands in front of me and bow. But not today or afterwards. I return her stare, willing to fight for Emma's respect with my entire family. "I expect you to respect my girlfriend with as much integrity as you respect me, Mother."

"Well, I daresay that you have developed true feelings for the girl." She comments, sounding surprised at my response. I clench my jaw and inhale as I stand taller.

"I have." I answer, immediately, with ease.

"That isn't allowed, as Queen—"

"—Well, I'm not Queen." I remind her, snapping at her with her repeated pressure on me being Queen. Her eyes immediately softening as her shoulders fall slightly yet she still somehow stands tall and intimidating.

"Well, yes." She pauses, staring into my eyes and not looking away from me, as if she's making sure that I'm listening to her. "For now." She adds, I immediately feel my heart want to beat out of my chest just at the thought of running an entire nation. It's as if she has completely given up on being Queen, like she's completely forgotten that it's her who is Queen and not I. She has even offered to make this deal with my brother that if he abdicates his spot immediately and gives it to me, he will have his entire life handed to him and whatever he wants, he gets. It's as if he'll be King but I am the one that has to do everything and be named Queen.