Chapter 9

Cadence P.O.V

I'm glad that Josh is trying to be optimistic about my situation. It's nice to have someone on my side for once. I've never had a very large cheering section. I don't think I've ever really had one. No one particularly liked me.

'I promised myself that I wouldn't allow myself to get close to anyone, but I feel like I'm failing. I'm getting close to Josh. I want to be his friend. He is a very nice guy and he is accepting of me. I haven't really met anyone like him before. Perhaps I should allow myself to be friends with him, just so I have someone who understands what I'm going through.'

It was announced around town that there will be a meeting for each age group at the end of the week. I suppose they are giving time for people to arrive and settle before they go over rules and other regulations. At least I have about a week to myself.

I decide to sleep through the night. I don't get much sleep, but I manage to sleep for a good couple of hours. It's better than nothing I suppose.

When I wake up I see that Josh is not here. I slip my hormone pills into my pocket and head down to the kitchen. Other teens are eating breakfast. I see Josh sitting at a table in the corner.

I grab a bottle of water and sit down with him. He smiles and nods. I pop the pill in my mouth and put my finger to my lips, gesturing for him to keep this a secret. He nods in response. I drink some water and swallow the pill easily.

I don't want anyone to know that I'm on hormone pills because I don't know what will happen. They might take them away from me or switch me to take estrogen instead. I could not live like that. I've worked too hard to let other people ruin my work.

I don't eat breakfast because I'm not hungry. I have never been one to eat breakfast. Josh notices and raises his eyebrows.

"Aren't you going to eat?" he asks.

"I don't eat breakfast," I tell him, taking a sip of my water.

"Mm, you should. Who knows, maybe they'll put us to work," he says jokingly.

I laugh softly and shake my head. In reality, they most likely will, unless they have artificial intelligence doing the work to keep the human race intact. That would be nice.

The morning is rather quiet. I believe that is because no one is ready to open up yet. People are keeping quiet to mourn the ones they are going to lose. It's a rather sad time.

I tap the table lightly with my fingers and look around the room. We all seem like normal teenagers, except for the fact that there is a looming cloud of sadness over all of us. Some are more affected than others.

'People will open up eventually. They just need some time. I've been preparing myself for a while now. I am the lucky one. I have trained myself not to feel the pain of losing my family. Hopefully, others will learn to do the same.'