Chapter 26

Josh P.O.V

I can see Cadence struggle with his dysphoria. I try to raise his mood, but it's like he is stuck in a dark hole. I don't know what to do.

I am afraid to leave him alone in fear of what he might do. I'm not exactly sure what will happen, but with his mood, it can't be good. It is definitely worrisome.

The worst part is that he reminds himself that he no longer has pills every day, although it's not intentional. He goes down to the kitchen every morning to take them out of habit. Now there are no pills to be taken. Once he remembers he is rather upset.

Some mornings I manage to keep him occupied, but he always remembers in the end. I'm not exactly sure what to do. I just don't know.

'What I want to do is crazy, but I feel as though it might help. I could lose my job if anyone found out, but it would be worth it. I want Cadence to be happy and I'll keep him that way for as long as I can. This dysphoria is killing him. I can't let him get hurt.'

"Hey, I have to go to work," I pause, "are you going to be okay here by yourself?" I ask.

He hugs me tightly before nodding slowly. I sigh softly and ruffle his hair. I'm only gone for a few hours, but I'm sure that must feel like an eternity to Cadence.

"I'll be back as soon as I can, okay?"

"Okay," he says quietly.

I get up and head out of the apartment building. I make my way towards the infirmary when I am stopped by a young woman. She seems familiar in some way.

"Hey, um, you're Cadence's roommate, right?" she asks.

"Yeah, what about him?" I ask, trying to figure out who she is.

She hands me a pill bottle quickly and takes a glance around. "I've been hiding those for a while. I knew he would run out and need more. I'm his sister, Sandra. Just, tell him I'm sorry for what I said and give those to him, please," she explains.

I see that the bottle is the same as the one Cadence had his hormones in. It's the same type. And this is his sister. Even if they were not on good terms, I suppose she could still have had his pills.

I nod and she runs off. I glance back after walking again and see Mayor Greene talking to her. I hope that he didn't see her give me any pills. That would not look good on either end.

After work, I head straight back to the apartment. Cadence doesn't seem to look like he's moved at all. I pick him up in his bundle of blankets and smile.

"I have a surprise for you," I tell him.

He peeks out of the cocoon a bit more. I take out the pill bottle and see his eyes light up. He instantly hugs me extremely tight.

"Thank you so much, Josh! I can't tell you how much this means to me!" he says happily, "But you could lose your job," he says after a moment.

I hand him the bottle. "Don't worry about that. You're more important."

I don't tell him about Sandra because I know they are not on good terms. He might not believe she gave me the pills either. I'm deciding not to tell for now. I'm just glad he can be himself again.