Chapter 23

Cadence P.O.V

It has been a few days since the death of the sun. Some people are having a nonstop party while others are in a time of mourning. I myself am doing neither.

I am not mourning the loss of my family nor am I celebrating my survival. In my opinion, everyone should have died. That was the destiny of the human race. The only reason we are alive is that the government decided to step in because they didn't like that.

Josh has not been himself since the earthquake. I understand why, but I'm simply not used to seeing him in such a depressed state. This whole thing is hitting him very hard.

'I don't blame Josh for being upset. He has every right to be. He just lost probably everyone he knew. I would be upset too if I hadn't closed everyone out of my life. That is why I do not feel upset.'

I have been trying to cheer Josh up the best I can, but even then I feel like I'm failing. He just isn't happy. I know that he won't magically be better and forget what happened, but he needs to accept the fact that there was nothing he could do. There was nothing anyone could do.

'I am surprised that The Oasis actually could withstand the blast. I thought for sure it would fail and we would all die. Perhaps the reason it worked was that it is so small. Smaller structures tend to be more secure and have fewer flaws. If The Oasis was large enough to save everyone it might not have survived.'

I hug Josh close to me. He lays his head on my chest and rests. I am glad that he is still able to relax. I'm sure others can't even do that. This is a very difficult time for all.

I run my fingers through Josh's hair from time to time. He seems to enjoy it. At this point, I'll do anything I can to keep him happy. He's the one thing I actually have to look forward to while living in this bubble and I want him to be happy.

He falls asleep while laying on me, making me sigh. I'm not exactly in the most comfortable position. Josh is laying on my chest and I can hardly breathe with my binder as it is. It's not pleasant, but I don't have the heart to move him.

I sigh and try to fall asleep too. Unfortunately, I can't. I haven't been sleeping that well lately. It's getting hard. Perhaps it is because I worry about Josh. I'm not too sure.

I glance around the room in boredom. There is nothing worth looking at. The walls are still the same boring white that they've always been. Nothing has changed.

I look out the window and see that not much else is going on outside either. People are cleaning up any damage that the earthquake caused, but that's about it.

'I know that behind closed doors government officials are having a laugh, a drink, and probably a smoke too. They are celebrating our lives when they should be mourning the loss of everyone else's. The world is a sick and twisted place.'