Chapter 29

Cadence P.O.V

My body is still not used to the hormones being back in my system, which is rather surprising. They should be. Something about this just doesn't feel right.

I pick up the bottle and look at it. The label has been torn off. I find that to be strange. Normally there is a label on any type of medication. Why would anyone tear it off? Unless Josh tore it off to sneak it out.

I examine the pills closely. They look nearly identical to the ones I had. I say nearly because I can't remember all the details. These look the same to me, but somehow I feel they are different. 

I walk out and see Josh is sketching in a notebook that he brought along with him. I've only seen him draw in it a handful of times at most. He seems to be pretty private about it.

"Hey Josh, where did you get my pills from?" I ask softly, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Oh, um, I was going to steal them from the infirmary, but your sister said to give you those," he explains.

I am confused about this. Sandra was telling me that there was no transition. Why then would she have more hormone pills for me? It just doesn't add up. I decide that for the first time in nearly two months that I am going to talk to her. 

I tell Josh that I am going to talk to her and that I will be back soon. I sprint down the stairs and run out of the building. I make my way towards her house and sigh.

I am hesitant about talking to her. I'm not sure how Sandra will react to me coming to see her. I reluctantly knock on the door and sigh softly. She answers and looks surprised to see me.

"Cadence, what are you doing here?" she asks after a moment.

"Um, I just wanted to thank you for the testosterone," I tell her, "but how did you get them? And why give them to me if you told me that my transition was over? That seems pretty controversial," I say, calling her out.

She suddenly begins to look rather worried. I am not sure why, but I am curious.

"What's going on?"

"I," she says softly, "Mom and Dad had ordered you some extra bottles and gave them to me to keep. I lied and said they were estrogen pills so I could get away with having them. I was going to give them to you when I saw you, but that didn't happen. I'm sorry I said those things, I shouldn't have. Here, hold on a second," she says while leaving the door for a brief moment.

She comes back with three pill bottles. I am shocked that our parents ordered me more testosterone when they promised that I would give a child to this new world. Something almost doesn't seem right, but I'm too excited to notice.

I hug her tightly as she hands me the bottles. I hide them in my pockets and break the hug. We say our goodbyes after that. We don't want to draw too much attention to ourselves.

'I am still shocked, but my body is telling me to be happy and ignore any red flags. I can't help but listen.'