Chapter 53

Josh P.O.V

Cadence is still sick and I refuse to wait any longer. I pick him up out of bed, much to his disliking, and proceed to carry him over my shoulder. He struggles and squirms in my grasp, but I refuse to give up my hold on him.

"Damnit, Josh! I told you that I'm not going! Put me down!" he yells, hitting my back.

I ignore his yelling and hitting and continue to carry him. He is rather stubborn and still refuses to go even when he has no other choice. It gets a bit irritating after a while.

He's settled down by the time we get to the bottom of the stairs. He seems to have burnt himself out. Cadence knows that he will not be able to get out of going unless he miraculously gets better overnight. Both of us know that won't happen.

We receive some rather strange looks while walking through town. It's obviously not a normal sight to see a teenager carrying another around town. He begs me to put him down so he can walk on his own, but I know that he will bolt as soon as his feet hit the ground.

We walk into the infirmary and only then do I set him down. His attempts to escape fail when I grab his arm. I am determined to get him the help he needs, whether he likes it or not.

After about fifteen minutes of waiting a doctor calls Cadence back. I've never seen him around before and figure he must be new. While I would prefer a doctor that I am familiar with I am just happy to get Cadence checked on.

I practically have to push him into the exam room. Even when he's lost he still refuses to stop fighting.

"Hello Cadence, I'm Dr. Smith. Can you tell me what's going on with you?" he asks, seeming to be very polite.

"I've just had some nausea and vomiting for the last few weeks," Cadence says with a sigh, glaring at me.

Dr. Smith does a basic check up first; heart beat, pulse, blood pressure, etc. He also asks Cadence to lay back and presses on his abdomen. Apparently, a few places had been feeling tender to him for the past few days. Finally, Dr. Smith draws some blood and asks him to urinate in a cup.

After all of that is said and done it is time to play the waiting game. We sit in the room quietly, awaiting the results. We glance at each other occasionally, the only real noise in the room being the clock mounted on the wall.

After some time Dr. Smith returns to the room. Cadence and I are all ears when he looks at his clipboard.

"Well Ms. Buds, congratulations, you're pregnant."

I am surprised for a few moments before turning and looking at Cadence. He looks pale and worried. It almost seems as if his body is shutting down. Dr. Smith leaves the room to give us time alone.

"Cadence, Hun, are you okay?" I ask softly, holding his hand.

He pulls away and shoves me after a moment. It wasn't quite the reaction I had hoped for.

"You did this! Are you fucking happy now!? You did what Greene ordered you to! Congrats! Thanks for ruining my life!" he screams, running out of the room and slamming the door.