Chapter 47

Cadence P.O.V

I run out of town and into the forest. I want to be as far from Josh and Sandra as I possibly can be. Obviously being trapped in a government bubble with them doesn't make that easy.

The forest is nice and secluded. I won't have to deal with either of them coming after me. The deeper I travel the denser the trees become. Hopefully, they will conceal me long enough to get to the edge of this dome.

'I don't want to have to run from Sandra, but I mostly worry about Josh. He seems like the type to chase the ones he "loves," and won't give up. I don't believe Josh ever really loved me at this point. He was doing a job for the government. Luckily I didn't let him succeed.'

I walk slowly through the trees. They are calming and help me settle down. For once today, I feel relaxed. The forest feels so remote and hidden away. I almost feel as though I am on a different planet. It helps me forget about the events that only previously took place.

I walk slowly, running my fingers over the bark of several trees. I sigh softly. The bark almost feels real, but I can still tell that it's synthetic. It's a sickening reminder that practically this entire town is synthetic. None of it is natural.

I dig my nails into the bark of one of the trees. It feels soft, not hard like it should. It doesn't have the familiar crunch that it should.

I sigh and keep walking. Eventually, the trees begin to look slightly different. They seem familiar, but I'm not exactly sure why.

While I walk I am suddenly overwhelmed with an all too familiar scent; Josh's cologne. It doesn't take me long to realize what part of the forest I have wandered into. These are the trees whose leaves smell of good memories.

Each time Josh and I came here I could have sworn that I never smelled anything when trying. Now all I smell is Josh's cologne. It's overwhelming. It's all I can smell.

I run in the opposite direction as my eyes burn with hot tears. Good memories of Josh and I fill my mind each time the scent invades my nostrils. I can't stand to relive the lies that he made me believe.

I run as fast as I can to get away from the smell of his cologne. I can't stand to smell it any longer. It tortures me to think about all the good times we had together. It kills me inside.

'None of those memories can be considered happy anymore. Josh betrayed me and I don't think I can ever forgive him. I'm not sure I can ever let anyone into my life again. I'll go back to my old ways of shutting everyone out and keeping to myself. That was how I had been surviving and I suppose I will continue to survive in that very same way.'