Chapter 41

Josh P.O.V

It has been a few more weeks since the altercation with Mayor Greene. I still have not told Cadence the truth of the matter. The guilt is starting to eat away at me.

'I just can't bring myself to tell him. I want to, but I can't. The pressure this has been putting on me is crushing, yet I am too afraid to tell him the truth. His hatred would be even more crushing.'

Cadence drags me down to the kitchen for breakfast. He doesn't eat, but he likes to have me down here while he takes his medication. People like to stare at us sometimes as well, so I stay down here with him to make him more comfortable. 

Cadence takes his pill and I make myself some toast. We head back upstairs afterward and ignore anyone who whispers any slurs. Cadence pretends not to hear them, but I know he does.

I sigh softly and pull him close to me in the bed. He groans softly and lays his head on my chest.

"You okay, Hun?" I ask softly, teasing his hair.

He shakes his head no after a moment and gets up quickly, sprinting to the bathroom. After a moment I can hear the faint sound of vomiting. Cadence leaves the door unlocked so I let myself in and sit behind him.

He hasn't eaten much of anything today so nothing is actually coming back up. It is mostly just him heaving for the most part. I still rub his back and comfort him because I know that this is not a pleasant feeling for him. No one likes to vomit.

After about ten minutes of heaving, Cadence is finally able to relax for a moment. His stomach has settled and now he is just left as a miserable teen. It's obvious that he is suffering.

I carefully scoop him up off the floor and carry him back to bed. He curls up in my arms, pulling his knees to his chest. I'm sure that his stomach is still churning and causing him discomfort, but there is really nothing I can do.

I lay him down in bed and feel his head. He does feel a bit warm, but not warm enough to have a fever. I sigh softly and pull a throw blanket over him. I don't want him to get cold if he does start to get a fever. 

I decide to head to the kitchen and grab Cadence a soda to help his stomach. The carbonation will help ease his stomach if he chooses to drink.

Unfortunately, while I am heading back I am cut off by Sandra. She does not look very happy with me. I already know why she is here.

"Have you told him yet? It's been several weeks," she asks, crossing her arms.

I sigh softly and run my fingers through my hair. "No, I haven't. I'm trying, but right now isn't a good time. I'll tell him once he feels better," I tell her.

"You better tell him soon, because if you don't, I will."