Chapter 44

Cadence P.O.V

I run back through town and up the stairs of the apartment building. Burning tears flood from my eyes as I run, making it hard to see. This causes me to trip several times, but each time I get up and keep running.

Once I am back in the apartment I grab my bag and shove all that I came with into it. I am not going to stay here another minute. I can't.

'Josh betrayed me. He crushed my trust; destroyed it; ripped it to shreds. Any trust I had for him is dead. I am not going to deal with this. Josh lied to me. He stabbed me in the back. He made arrangements with Mayor Greene of all people. He cannot be forgiven.'

I rub my eyes roughly to rid them of their unwanted tears. Josh doesn't deserve to be cried over. Not after what he's done. I don't deserve to cry over someone who betrayed me on such a level.

I sling my bag over my shoulder and head for the door. Just as I am about to open it I feel tension on the other side. It won't open. I reluctantly let go of the handle and take a step back.

Josh opens the door and a look of shock takes over his face. It doesn't take him long to figure out I'm leaving.

"Cadence, Hun, what are you doing?" he asks softly, coming a bit closer.

"Don't call me that!" I hiss out, being disgusted that he has the audacity to use any pet names when referring to me.

He raises his hands in surrender and takes a step back. "Okay, just tell me what's going on," he says softly.

"You know damn well what's going on," I bark, stomping my foot out of frustration.

Josh only gives me a confused look. He must not realize that Sandra told me the truth of everything. He thinks that he is still in a relationship. If that is the case then he is wrong.

"You selfish ass-hole," I mumble, "I trusted you! I trusted you with everything I ever had! I opened myself up to you! All you did was lie to me! You played me in a sick game! You stabbed me in the back and broke my heart!" I finally scream, unable to contain my emotions for a second longer.

My knees give out and my body crumbles from exhaustion. I sob for a few moments before Josh attempts to hug me as a form of comfort. I shove him away harshly, making him stumble and fall back on the floor.

"Don't fucking touch me! You sold me out to Mayor Greene! You were just doing a job! You didn't even have feelings for me," I cry out, realizing how badly it hurts to think that all we had was fake; an act to convince me into the submission of the government.

"No, Cadence! Of course, I have feelings for you! What we have is real! Greene just pulled me aside and made an arrangement! He said you could transition afterward!" he argues, trying to defend himself.

"You could have at least asked me before agreeing to anything like that! This was a job for you! Just, go to hell!" I scream, running out of the room.