37. Secrets, Secrets, And More Secrets

Then-

"What is that?" I hear Edward say, and he starts walking away. Yale follows pursuit and I sigh, we got lucky in this one.

"You actually have this picture? I thought you hated it because that's when we didn't know we were mates yet? But you liked me then anyway. And I was dating someone else?"

"Yeah, whatever. I have every picture of you. Even if there's a girl in it, at least you're there right?"

I hear silence, and I can't see them, but I can only imagine their looking at one another. Thinking back on events...

32 years ago...
Yale, 14

"Guess what..." I look at Eddie, and he holds an over decorative envelope. It has his name on it written in Crayola markers, and he is smiling from ear to ear.

"I don't like guessing just tell me." Eddie smirks, and I look away as my heart suddenly starts beating faster. I don't know why it's been doing this lately...but he's become more...cooler to me.

"Fine. Since you're my best friend, why not open this with you." He sat next to me, and grabbed my pencil as he started cutting it open on the edge.

"Just guess please!" He stops suddenly, and I sigh as I look at it some more.

I know exactly what it is.

It's a love letter. Someone's confessing to him...

"I don't wanna!"

"You're so lame!" He whines, bumping shoulders with me and I bite my lip.

As he pulls out the paper inside I look around, the classroom looking and being nosy.

"Ooh what'd you get Eddie? Another love letter?" I sneered at the guy, and he stepped back.

I'm the only one that calls him Eddie... But why do I care!? Who knows what other nicknames he had with others. And he's had more than one of those... This is the first that I'm hearing of this...

"Yeah, but the other ones weren't girls that I liked. Those girls are just not real enough. But this one...Barbara... She's real."

"Barbara!?!?" The class starts circling around as they look. Because I know who this Barbara is.

She's two grades above us in high school and since we're in ninth grade it's a big deal. I think she's a pervert for liking someone so young...

"Isn't this awesome Yale?" Eddie asks me, excitement in his voice. I look away, and he frowns.

"Out of all he people is expect you to be by my side and be happy for me. Not jealous."

"I'm not-!" I stop yelling as people are staring, I fold my arms, glaring off." I'm not jealous. I could give two craps about who you date."

"Fine! Then I am now officially an exclusive male."

"I was hoping you'd say yes." Everyone looked to see her at the door. Yearbook club behind her.

Eddie got out the seat, running over as they hugged. Yearbook about to take some pictures.

I look away, not knowing why I'm so angry. What's this right feeling in my chest... It's making it hard to breath...

"Smile for the cutest new high school couple!"

I wait to hear the camera until I feel a hand rest on my shoulder. I look, seeing Eddie as he has a friendly expression on his face. I feel my cheeks heating up as he smiles.